Plumbing Course Kosher?

Hello,

I want to become a professional plumber, and I have had no luck in getting on the courses that are run by my local college. (which suggests loads of other people have had the same idea as me)

I have a lot of experience doing DIY plumbing.

I discovered a home study course run by these people

and I want to find out if anyone else has an opinion about them. Their course is over £1000.

They do a practical training workshop that leads to a City and Guilds

6022 Domestic Copper Intallation qualification, and a C&G 6032 Sanitary Accommodation Design and Installation qualification. These cost extra. Are they meaningful qualifications?

Also, what do you think about the demand for plumbing? Do you normally call out a plumber or do you do most of the work yourself?

What kind of jobs would you consider beyond your abilities? Which you would be happy to pay someone else to do for you and do you have a reliable plumber who you already use?

Finally is there a better route into a plumbing career.

With thanks Jack

Reply to
Jack Hawkings

A DIY group is not going to get you a truly reflective answer on this - many of us would have a go. My mate who is a plumber, regularly gets called out for dripping taps and his workrange is now very wide. He started out by trading through word of mouth and wasn't reliant on the income - he now knows pretty much everything through training and common sense experience through doing the job. He at least had the honesty to say if something was beyond him.

Getting a plumber or electrician in my area is quite an achievment and I would guess this is the primary factor for how busy you'd be. Last time I had to get someone out was a boiler failure and he had to travel 130 miles round trip - all paid for via home assistance insurance. I dread to think what he charged.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Being honest about your capabilities could get you a small start with a builder if you keep knocking on doors. Maybe. Put you name down for next years starter course and for the one the year after at the college if you think it might be worth the long haul.

The demand won't last forever. Ride it now.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Depends if you want to work for yourself or for someone else. Can't help with the latter but in

(
) I answered a similar query from the pov of being self-employed.

I suggest you get "Plumbing" by R.D.Treloar and/or other NVQ plumbing textbooks to gen up on the theory and some of the regs of plumbing which, if you have a lot of practical DIY experience, is the main thing you'd get from a formal course (apart from qualifications, obviously). You'll also need a shed-load* of tools and materials to work professionally without constantly popping down to the merchants for bits (though many pros seem to do this).

  • shed-on-wheels i.e. van :-) I got an ex-postie LDV pilot, about the size of a small Transit
Reply to
John Stumbles