Plumbing a shower

I'm wanting to move our shower from one wall (an outside wall) to another (stud wall). All walls are titled, but will be re-tiled later.

I have a cold feed feeding the current shower from the loft. I was planning to re-route the cold feed to the position of the new shower, which would mean running the pipe in the stud wall along with the mains supply.

How do I go about running the pipe through the stud wall and make the necessary bends for lining up for the shower? I'm not overly fond of plastic push fit connectors, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
absolute0

Are these hereditary titles, or were they bought?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sorry, I should have explained better.

We are moving the shower so that we can get the ceiling re-artexed. Once that is done the tiles will be completely replaced and a new suite installed. I'm not concerned about the appearance of the current tiles as long as it's water proof for a period of time until we get it re-tiled.

Dave

were they bought?

Reply to
absolute0

Which "mains supply" is this?

What sort of shower?

Do you need to run the pipe in the wall, or can you redirect it in the loft and then come down the wall in a new place? If so then that only requires that you drill through the top plate rather than having to cross several studs.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm guessing it is an electric shower so the "mains supply" is probably for it

Reply to
Stuart B

Yes, it is an electric shower (new one will be a Mira Advance ATL). I'd rather not have the pipe on show as this is how we have it at the moment (hole through ceiling and chrome pipe down to shower)

Dave

Reply to
absolute0

Hence why I was suggesting a hole through the top plate of the stud wall. The pipe then comes down through the wall and emerges into the back of the shower. Plastic pipe would indeed make this simpler (no joints in the wall). The final connection to the shower is usually via a 15mm compression elbow.

Reply to
John Rumm

John,

It's going to be a bit of a pain as I'm limited to space in the loft (shallow pitch), so plastic pipe sounds like a better option if I'm going to feed the pipe in from the top. Then there is still the issue of putting two elbow joints on the bottom of the pipe as it feeds into the shower from the back, then elbows down to the shower connector.

Dave

suggesting a hole through the top plate of the stud

Reply to
absolute0

You only need on elbow - at the join with the shower. That's the nice thing about plastic in cases like this - it bends round corners.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for your help John. Have you ever used copper push fit compression fittings with platic pipe?

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
absolute0

What like cuprofit? No I have not tried them personally[1]. No reason for them not to work fine however.

[1] although have tried most other combinations of plastic/copper/brass fittings and pipe, all with successful results.
Reply to
John Rumm