Plumbers Nightmare

Hi all

This is getting ridiculous!

Yes I know this isn't strictly DIY, but I've done a fair amount of work on the heating system and decided I was prepared to pay (a fair price) to get the work done: quickly, by Corgi reg installer, to avoid many moons without hot water etc.

Have now contacted about 10 plumbers (central heating installers or gas installers) to install a new boiler, re-pipe upstairs in 22mm and replace/reposition pumps/zone valves. This you would think would be "bread and butter" work to these guys, but out of the 10 contacted:

4 express interest initially, but when you indicate there's more than just remove and replace boiler they lose interest and claim full order books. 5 actually come round to assess the work, some in reasonable detail and with enthusiasm, then either didn't bother to get back or called back with the "full order book" excuse. 1 did get back with a professional looking quote but wanted close to £6K for 2 days work (maybe 2 men) and approx £2K materials.

The most recent one contacted was possibly the most honest - he said that he wouldn't take it on because of the electrics in wiring up zone valves etc and all the hassle with Part P.

So, assuming that I don't consider myself "competent" to install a new boiler (although it's something I did many moons ago), where do I go from here?

Any contact names for plumbers in the Hull/West Hull area would be extremely gratefully appreciated. When I started on this trail, I had high hopes for an optimum system layout, quality of wormanship etc etc.. I am fast reaching the point where I just want the job done any-old-how so I can move on.

Literal moan over - mental moan on-going

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Phil, If you get stuck I could give you a price on the job. I have family near Grimsby so it wouldn't be impossible for me to travel to Hull.

Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Pollard

ask questions here, become competent, and save a couple of grand.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Get the plumber in to do the straight boiler swap, and then you can finish off all the trickey bits (zone valves etc) for them later!

Sad state of affairs, but it is getting to the point the only time you ever get that is when you DIY.

Reply to
John Rumm

I wonder if some of these people run a mile as soon as they realise you know what you're talking about and actually want to specify the job yourself.

Reply to
Richard Conway

What plumbers like - and they are in short enough supply to be able to pick and choose - is a new house installation just like the one they did last week.

No unforeseen problems, pipes can go where its easy to put them, and chances are the walls and flooring aren't even completed yet.

A nice steady 150 quid a day for 7 fully occupied days on the trot.

What plumbers hate, is a fiddly job where the customer wants it just so, connecting to existing pipework that may or may not be any good, using connectors that may require several timely trips to a plumbers supplies to get, all on a fixed price.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Martyn Pollard" wrote

I'll bear that in mind. As stated in my post though, I have actually received one quotation, but I can't see where the figure comes from or how we could afford it. Difficult to see why someone travelling from another area of the country should be able to carry out the work at reasonable cost when locals can't. Hull is a large(ish) city, as you probably know, with a diverse labour pool. Although I have heard it's a problem, would have thought this the last place for such a shortage.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"Richard Conway" wrote

Yes I think there's an element of that. It may not help my case that I have a list of parts, zone valves, pump etc with prices. I get the feeling that many will try to make the labour element of the job cost appear smaller by quoting retail prices to the customer for boiler and other parts. While in reality making serious money on both labour and materials. Had high hopes for a guy who called last week. The first one to actually discuss heat loss and bringing in a Mears calculator to check room heat requirements etc. Unfortunately he was another "full order book" message on the answer machine.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"John Rumm" wrote

Trouble is, it's all inter-related. Current system had pumped return which, for some reason not apparent to me or the suppliers, this is now a none-starter. Also the zone valve configuration needs to change. So it all needs doing as a job lot!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

wrote

A lack of self confidence holds me back from attempting certain jobs, as well as the time scale unfortunately (I am not the fastest DIYer). Added to that all the red tape of Part P due to kitchen location of boiler etc. Might end up as my only option though.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster