Plumbers mate. How to Apply

I'm trying to put plumbers mate round the fitting on my basin. But every time I put it on the fitting it just comes away and sticks to my hand!! It is driving me crazy.

Is there a technique to do this or do I cover my hands in something to stop the plumbers mate sticking to me?

Thanks

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Not sure but I seem to remember just rolling it around in my hands until my hands got a bit oily and that helped ...

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Fend him off with a stick?

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

I thought that would do the trick also but the more the plumbers mate got up to body temperature the more it didn't want to leave my fingers!! There must be knack to it.

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

He's a pest of hell. He keeps coming back like a bad smell.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Doesn't the plumbers' mate have a statutory right to express their sexuality without prejudice?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

My experience is plumber's mait is that the best technique is:

  1. Remove from fitting.
  2. Place, along with rest of tub in bin.
  3. Apply silicone sealant.
  4. Assemble fitting to basin.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just squidge some on with the edge of your thumb - it does not have to be a dead even layer, as it will even up when you complete the joint.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I was waiting for someone to say that and had a suspicion it would be Christian :o)

I concur, I have never found an application for PM that couldn't be done better by something else or by preparing the joint properly. IMHO it should be called "Plumber's bodge"

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

There's a mention in the paper today of a husband-and-wife plumber's team. Clearly he didn't have the technique!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Only that it you're going to bodge it, bodge it properly with silicone.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My experience of plumbers is that your better off not applying to be their friend. Anyway its a cheek asking you to apply.

Reply to
Fred