Plumbers Mait ???

Basically I'm after some advice for sealing bath and sink wastes

I have LS-X (tried this today but still had leaks - guessing I didn't use enough and also didn't put any underneath the bath waste between bath and washer)

Plumbers Mait

Clear Silicone

Which product to use and how best to apply please

-- Regards

Hays

Reply to
hays

Gutter Sealant. It comes in a tube, like the silicone tubes, that go in the applicator gun. It is liquid neoprene I think, and it seals everything it touches. Don't put any near the surface of the bath, but putting a smear around both sides of the washer before tightening up, works wonders.

Reply to
BigWallop

Hmm, wonder if my mother in law likes gutter sealant sandwiches..... ;)

Only kidding.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Mait. Throw away the rubber washers: the mait will seal the waste to the bath/sink/basin without creating an unsightly and dirt-collecting step between them as a rubber washer will do, and when the washer has perished the mait will still be holding (strong: you'll never get the waste off since the mait will have gone hard/extremely viscous). Silicone is OK as long as you can guarantee never to twist the joint after the silicone has set, but it's more fiddly to clean the residue off than with mait (IMO: YMMV). And mait is cheaper :-)

(Not tried gutter sealant, but any non-setting mastic should be OK.)

(Incidentally Silicone (doesn't have to be LS-X) is good for sealing radiator tails when a burr on the rad strips PTFE tape off before it can get into the internal tread of the rad.)

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Which Tyler: leader of the pedants' revolt.

Reply to
John Stumbles

In article , John Stumbles writes

Though it specifically says on the LS-X packet not to use it for this? (I did and it works, and I suspect it's just ordinary silicone in a tube)

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Hadn't noticed that (of course I _always_ read the instructions :-).

Can't see that silicone is either going to dissolve/disintegrate or attack the chrome, brass or steel (though maybe acetic acid released when it cures might cause some corrosion?) Perhaps use neutral cure?

-- John Stumbles

-+ Question Authority

Reply to
John Stumbles