Plumber Wanted

Halal penguin.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Ah, but that was written by a BBC hack who wants to be in the bar by

4:30 :-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

They aren't allowed to say it. All that happens now if you apply for a job and they think you're too old is they simply ignore your application. That's merely incredibly rude rather than illegal.

Reply to
Huge

And a terrible waste of time for all the applicants who aren't even going to be considered, all the more so when outfits like the Jobcentre insist they keep on making applications for jobs.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I have this vision of a company being prosecuted for an advert like

"Airline plot required: Must have experience and a current pilots license. Wheelchair users will not be considered"

Sadly age, sex, ability, matrimonial status, disability, intelligence, ability to speak read and write English, and actual quality of applicant, are, despite equal opportunity legislation, all something that affects working performance.

Employers have to pretend it doesn't, and invent other reasons for selection.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect Spouse and you wouldn't have enjoyed working on Bird Island when I was there in the 60's. Mum, Dad, and I (babe-in-arms) lived there in a 6'x8' garden shed for (I think) six weeks. He was doing biological research, she was acting as his research assistant, and I was along for the ride. Mind you, there was less call for a plumber then:

  1. Running water? It's in the stream flowing out of the glacier.
  2. Hot water? Kettle's in the corner.
  3. Bath? see answer to first question :-).

I think the facilities are a bit more flash these days.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

My neighbours would be the the whole of Argentina. So no chance of any trouble there then!

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

How did that "n't" creep in there? That was supposed to read "would have enjoyed"!

Reply to
Martin Bonner