Plug puzzle

Hi

Been drilling lots of 3" deep holes in masonry, then fitting 2 wallplugs into each to screw into. Sometimes 2 will go in, but often not, and I'm not seeing why. I dont see how it could be remaining debris in the hole, as the drill bit fitted ok. The plugs are lipless and not tight in the hole. Any ideas?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I don't understand why you are not using a suitable (single ) plug.

Reply to
John

I have never fitted two plugs, but I have sometimes found a plug is just not wanting to go in. So I have effectively reamed the hole with the drill - moving the drill slowly into the hole and out while still spinning.

I think that holes can spiral slightly - particularly in fairly soft material. Therefore the tip of the drill has no problem but a solid lump of the same diameter does. Most likely if the difference in diameter between the actual drill tip and the spiral, fluted part is significant. (So most likely on a drill that has been mis-used for enlarging holes sideways. As if anyone would do such a thing?)

Reply to
Rod

Usually the hole is not cleaned out properly, and brick dust is at the back of the hole blocking it. The masonry drill design allow this to happen, since the shaft is thin and the tip is kind of flattened. Also, the hole can be a bit jagged, or a loose bit of brick / mortar can drop down into the hole. Often you can pull out the drill bit and when you push it straight back in it does not go all the way back in. Hoover out, blow it out (close your eyes), or otherwise extract the debris. You can use a twist drill to do this, indicating why a masonry bit allows it in the first place. Its been this every time I've had the problem. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Yeah, I suspect my clearing technique is inadequate. I've used hoover or blown in, but I dont see that working at the bottom of a blind 3" hole, so I guess it needs a blower with a tube on.

Why am I uing 2 plugs? weak masonry, one plug is too insecure.

cheers, NT

Reply to
meow2222

I use a bendy straw. Bend it 90 degress; put short end in the hole; blow in the long end - saves a black / dusty face. A few of them live in my tool box.

M.

Reply to
m__murray

Hilti used to (they may still) sell a rubber bulb fitted to a bit of rigid plastic pipe, to blow debris out of drilled holes.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Or just drill a deeper hole than you need to accommodate the debris

Reply to
stuart noble

Use the fan on the drill to blow the shit out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

clever, will try that

NT