Plug-in MCBs

What also strikes me as a problem with any old install is that more often than not they've been aded to at various times, frequently by people with insufficient knowledge to do it porperly. You wont find many people continuing today to live with those sort of socket numbers.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hi just to follow up.

The MCBs are now installed. No re-wiring of the CU involved. Simply unscrew the base of the rewirable and then screw the new base in and the plug the mcb in. As mentioned in this thread - even though tlc list 5 amp and 30 amp mcbs they do actually provide 6 amp and 32 amp. Once they were installed I simply broke the 'knockout' from the cover to allow it to act as a collar for the deeper mcbs. If nothing else they will allow the wife to restore power if need be when I'm away on business.

On the same note it would appear that my wiring would in theory but up to modern CU mcb/rcd standards. My sister lives in the same style/age of house a couple of streets down from me. Hers is rented from the local authority and two years back they removed all original fuse boxes and fitted split load mcb/rcd CUs. She has not experienced any spurious trips.

Thanks again to all who replied - it was most appreciated. Re reading them its clear there are conflicting views on the subject.

-- Patrick

Reply to
Patrick