Plug chain stuck in sink overflow

Block the outlet, and fill the overflow with enough strong alkali to dissolve the chain (assuming brass) and any other gunk in there. Even if the chain doesn't entirely dissolve, you may restore adequate flow. You'd probably need something quite powerful - and dangerous!

Richard.

reply by email change 'news' to my forename.

Reply to
Richard Russell

=================================== Fill the sink with water, allow it to start draining and then use a plunger, whilst keeping the sink topped up with water. On my sinks this treatment usually sends a jet of water shooting up the overflow. It will probably create enough turbulence to dislodge the chain and send it to join all the other junk in the sewerage system.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Whilst the hole in the waste appears small - the cavity in the ceramic is huge (to allow for a variety of waste fittings). Disconnect pipe - undo nut and push it up through wash basin. Remember to reseal the bottom end (nut). If in doubt go to B&Q and examine various wash basins to see what you are dealing with.

Reply to
John

a bicycle spoke is sometimes better than a coathanger as it has a tichy hooky bit on the end which would hook into the hub

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

You got me going there. SQL allows the two common syntaxes for not-equal - the 'C' language one, "!=", and the ...err... don't know where it came from . C predates SQL by 20 years or so.

Good luck with the chain, Adam.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I first came across in BCPL, which naturally pre-dates C by quite a way.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I first came across in a Basic in 1979 although I don't know what that pre-dates.

Reply to
Howard Neil

It doesn't pre-date C (early 1970s) or BCPL (mid 1960s).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I hope that said child as been suitably repremanded. Removal of some privalidge for 24hrs, like TV or Playstation should do it. Mind you girlfriend or you will then (shock horror) have to provide alternative "entertainment" rather than just dumping him down...

What type of chain is it? Proper links looped together or that bobbly stuff? I wouldn't expect linked loops to break very easyly but they would be the easiest to try an hoik out with a bit of stiff wire with a hook formed on the end. The bobbly stuff, think you'll have to take the trap and waste off to get direct access to the lower opening in the ceramic. It might not be very nice in the gap beind the waste...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Bruce

I think there were some in my John Bull printing set which predates them all ...

(yes, I've just been watching Stephen Fry on Gutenberg again)

Reply to
geoff

CORAL (66) and ALGOL (older) use

Reply to
John Rumm

On looking, BCPL and CPL were about 1964. But I suspect was also, as you say, in ALGOL 58! I have the Revised Report at work somewhere...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

geoff wrote in

Excellent wasn't it, though I was intrigued to hear him say something like, "...no matter what the number of the page one turns to..." when there weren't any page numbers in the Gutenberg Bible. Odd how one's assumptions crash over what is plainly visible in front of one's eyes. As with so many things...

Reply to
PeterMcC

I finally got it out It was the bobbly type. A mixture of stripped back 4mm earth wire shoved up the lower end and a length of 2.5mm cable bent into a hook from above managed to shift it.

As for punishment. Lets see:) I charge £40 for the first hour and £30 an hour after that. 3 hours in total.

He must be the only 4 year old without a playstation!

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

... but small children have small fingers...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You're not allowed to do that to children these days, however much the little urchins provoke you

How much would a new sink have cost?

When I was 4 years old we had to turn the radio on at 5.55 so the valves could warm up in time for The News.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But bless the child. He got a cracking love bite on his forehead a few months ago when he had a play with my Henry vacuum cleaner. The words "It's his school photo on Monday what shall I do?" as spoken by my girlfriend bring happy memories.

Job done. Only 3 hours of messing about.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Ah, bless. I'm sure he's worth all that effort. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I am going to wait until he buys his own house and then post my recently retrieved broken plugchain down his sink overflow :)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth