Plug chain stuck in sink overflow

The girlfriend's 4 year old monster/son has broken off the bathroom sink's plug chain and then posted it down the sink overflow.

I have just spent an hour trying to retrieve it to but no luck so far. The overflow is internal to the ceramics of the sink so there are no bits I can remove to get at the chain. I did hook some of the chain up earlier but it snapped when pulled and so half is still left down the overflow.

Any ideas please.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Leave it there.

Reply to
Steve Walker

ARWadworth wrote in

It's hardly a solution to the retrieval problem but you might want to fill the sink to the overflow and see if the remnants of the chain are actually making a difference to the effectiveness of the overflow.

If it doesn't make any difference, you can then be noble and explain that, whilst it's an enormous inconvenience and potential flood hazard, these things happen and a reasonable, easy going guy like you understands that kids will be kids.

It won't fix the sink but you ought to be in for a few brownie points.

Reply to
PeterMcC

Just leave it. As long as it doesn't block the flow of water through the overflow, it isn't doing any harm.

Kids, eh? ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I would leave it where it is as it is most unlikely that it would cause any problems. It is only a bit of chain and I cannot see it blocking any water flow.

If you are really determined to get it out then you could probably get at it by removing the combined waste/overflow fitting and fish it out from the bottom.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

The overflow is blocked. It works but very slowly.

Sweet little things. Not

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

In which case, your only option is to remove the waste fitting and fish it out from below (as someone else here suggested).

The more love they receive, the better they get. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

And... Playstation != love.

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I cannot do that. The overflow is an integral part of the sink ceramics and feeds out just below where the plug sits through a small hole. The whole of the overflow is part of the sink unlike my kitchen sink that has a serarate pipe from the overflow. This hole is a long way up from the waste trap.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

If you really think that, "There may be problems ahead ...".

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

In that case, all I can suggest is removing the sink from the wall and smashing it into tiny bits, probably on the child's head.

From this you will probably conclude that I share your frustration.

:-(

Reply to
Bruce

Time to open out a wire coathanger? Can't think of anything else, as it's unlikely to react to a small magnet...

In future, beware of girlfriends with small sons...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

How about lowering a narrow magnet down the plug hole and trying to attract the end of the chain out ????

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Have you actually removed the waste from the sink to see how big the holes are?

Reply to
dennis

The answer was saying to remove the WHOLE waste fitting from the outlet hole of the sink, you will then be able to pull the chain fromm the sink outlet and then re assemble. I think we are (most of us) familiar with the type of 'double skinned' basin of which you speak. I cannot see how a chain will restrict the flow of the overfloe. Maybe there was 'stuff' in there before.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Probably was, if the little bugger had visited previously...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

More than likely the chain will be of brass.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Rare earth magnet? Assuming the chain is ferous.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Damn !

Reply to