Pliolite paints

Just had my first experience with Pliolite masonry paint. My local Leyland distributor had magnolia on special (half price) so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Pretty expensive otherwise. This is a solvent naptha based paint that, not surprisingly, is touch dry in a couple of hours (re-coatable in

16) but reputedly has much greater water resistance than standard masonry paint. Can also be applied at minus 20deg C so handy for exterior winter painting in Siberia. The resin itself is apparently patented by Goodyear and is officially classed as a rubber (some type of styrene/butadene compound). It certainly sticks like wotsit to a blanket and hopefully is flexible enough to withstand a bit of movement. The finish is matt, and the general look is fine. "Won't allow the wall to breathe" I hear you say. Apparently it does, but I'm taking that with a pinch of salt.......
Reply to
stuart noble

I've got some Macperhson Powerkote pliolite paint waiting to be used on a rendered wall, but the wall won't dry out enough for me to risk painting.

The paint is supposedly usable on surfaces that are "reasonably dry" but I don't know how dry "reasonably" is. Anyone know? I've been hanging fire since December and I'm fed up waiting for it look bone dry all over. At this rate it will be another month or two. It has come close to drying on a couple of occasions but rain/heavy dew kicked in again before the last damp patches could disappear.

W.

Reply to
Hexatek

I'd be patient. Unlike standard masonry paint it's not at all water tolerant, and may form a film over the moisture which won't give you maximum adhesion. If you're using it for its superior water resistance, I'd leave it till the summer when the wall is bone dry. I got away with the first coat but haven't been able to risk the 2nd (and I hope final) coat.

Reply to
stuart noble

"stuart noble" >a rendered wall, but the wall won't dry out enough for me to risk

I have used Powerkote several times. I'd wait until the wall is bone dry too.

Jc.

Reply to
Josey

How was the coverage? I get the impression you need more of this stuff than the typical masonry paint.

Reply to
stuart noble