pliolite paint for roof and cladding tiles

Hi,

Around here the fronts of the houses are tile clad and after thirty-forty years, they are beginning to look a bit sorry for themselves. I think they are a "sandy" tile and are beginning to weather and erode.

A man was up a ladder painting a neighbour's cladding the other week and SWMBO asked him how much he would charge to paint ours. He said he was painting the tiles with what sounded like "plyolight" but a google reveals "pliolite". This does not seem to be one specific brand of paint but rather a type (ingredient?) of paint made by various manufacturers.

Are all makes the same or is it still best to buy a known brand?

I was expecting it to be a magical treatment especially for tile but from a very quick read of a few web sites, it appears to be a paint for any type of exterior use; it does not mention tiles specifically. Does anyone have experience of how well it adheres to tiles and its longevity?

Is it better than any other paint or treatment in this particular application?

I wonder whether they remove the tiles and re-lay them, painting as they go, or whether they leave them in situ and just paint the exposed faces? Is the latter a bodge or is that acceptable?

I think he quoted £450. I know this is a DIY group but it is the gable end and I don't fancy going that high; in fact I don't like going above 8' !

I think that did include replacing any broken tiles, so there was a little more to it than just painting.

OTOH if it only paint, could I buy a tin and ask the chap who painted my fascia to paint the tiles and half the cost?

I'm still tempted to get a quote for replacing the tiles to see what that would be and add insulation at the same time.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

I tried it years ago, due ot its claimed long life. I wont ever use it again, total pants.

It doesnt seem to have any longevity

Simple lime paint lasts far longer

Why would anyone do work they dont need to

its just paint

If you paint something, the paint deteriorates far faster than the underlying tile or cement, so it looks shabbier faster. It locks you into a repeating cycle of repainting and/or lousy appearance after a bit. Also a single flat colur doesnt have the dirt masking ablities of a more variable tile surface. So I'd skip this idea.

NT

Reply to
NT

I am well pleased with pliolite paint. It has stopped the rain pissing through my Victorian gable end wall for the last decade or so and I touched up a few spots for the first time just the other day. The original paint was still in good nick in the tin. It bears no resemblance to conventional masonry paint, which is water based and doomed to fail on all but the soundest of surfaces. I don't know that I would suggest painting tiles but, if you have to, then this is the stuff IMO. Check out the technical stuff on the web. Contractors don't pay double for something that doesn't perform

Reply to
stuart noble

I've had excellent long lasting results with water based masonry paint, but with pliolite, hopeless. So I guess it depends on the substrate.

NT

Reply to
NT