plinth for bath

Looking for a some advice, please. I'm fitting a stand alone bath and want to place it on a plinth which I propose to make in wood and then tile. I'll do it crudely, ie with screws and brackets! I've put a pic and the sizes at

advice on wood, dimenions of wood, covering for the top to fit the tiles (ply?) gratefully received.

Reply to
david thorpe

Well, hard to suggest dimensions of timber when you don't indicate how tall you want your plinth (or what purpose the plinth serves - just raising the height of the bath? Concealing pipework?)

In principle, if you want a ~4" high plinth, I'd lay lengths of 4"x2" timber on their sides, at right angles to the direction of the floor joists underneath, if any; and cover the top and sides using 0.75" WBP plywood. Ensure that the new 4"x2" timbers lie directly beneath the feet of the bath.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Reply to
david thorpe

18mm ply is about right..with some cross pieces in the middle
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd go along with that. 18mm ply is incredibily strong. Bear in mind that with the bath and the water you have a sh*t load of weight to support.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

For ease I would probably use a bit of 7x2" chopped into appropriate lengths. That way you can just sit it straight on the floor, add a couple of noggings to stop it moving about and clad it in 3/4" WPB ply.

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
lemmy