Please help with recommendations with a Glow Worm HXI 30 + RF Theromstat?

Firstly, hi to everyone, just joined the group, so please bare with me.

Our old boiler has given up the ghost and we are going to install a Glow Worm 30 HXI.

I have a few questions that I'm not sure on and how much disruption\re-wiring it will cause.

1: We are going to have TRV's fitted to all rads 2: Currently we have a wall mounted 'normal' room stat. 3: I would like a a/ Honeywell CM907 Programmable Room Thermostat 7 Day (Wired) or b/ Honeywell T6667B1085 CM67 Prog Room Stat With Optimum Start

Can these be mounted with the existing wiring to the room stat or does it mean extra wiring going in?

The room stat is not in the same room (kitchen) as the new boiler.

Is the Glow worm fully compatible with these types of stats\programmers and would it control both hot water and heating correctly?

Any other recommendations?

Our system is a normal Open Vented System with Unvented Hot Water (think!).

Thanks

Reply to
Pugs

Uses existing wiring no problem. If they need more than get a different model that does only need the existing wiring.

The new boiler will give off next to no heat this may or may not be a problem. A kitchen is a really bad place for the thermostat butr I think you are saying it is not in the kitchen.

All boilers are switched on either by making a connection between two terminals or feeding 230 Vac into a specific terminal. Low voltage controls are just around the corner - then we can expect lots of incompatibility and cremated controls/PCBs.

Go sealed (unvented) on the primary if you can. See both BoilerChoice and SealedCH FAQs.

If you have all TRVs then you (or your installer) will need to be quite careful about how the radiator nearest the thermostat is set up. Not impossible but great care needed and still leaves potential for inadvertent changes causing apparently big problems.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Then buy a Potterton Promax with an integarl floow switch.

They need two wires. No need for this as you have TRVs all around. Just get a simple time clock.

TRVs all around so no wall stat needed.

It is either one ot the other, not both.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Are they on special this month?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks chaps, but even more confused.

The problem is this

1: We have been without water & heating for over a week and the only plumber who can do it quickly, recommended the Glow Worm HXI (an 18 HXI for a 4 bed det but I think a 24\30 would be better?)

2: My in-law, a plumber said to have a new pump fitted and 3 way valve (if I remember correctly, something to do with an 'ancient design' and an automatic bypass)

3: What I'm trying to say is we would like a modern boiler, with decent options for programming without rewiring the household.

4: The room stat is not in the kitchen, sorry for any confusion.

Reply to
Pugs

Matt, are you after one?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You want TRVs on all rads. The Glow Worm states an open radiator when even fitted with an auto by-pass. The Promax can have TRVs all around with no room stat and a simple time clock. If the boiler is in the kitchen the time clock can be in the boiler, simplifying wiring.

The larger Glow Worm are best as they modulate the burner down.

While you are doing major works, you might want to try a high flowrate combi and get rid of the tanks and Cylinders. The Alpha CD50 is good and will fill the bath quick and give high pressure showers. Also the Worcester-Bosh

40kW combi. There are some high flowrate floor mounted combis around too.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel