Please Help - House Eats Lightbulbs

That's very close to the upper limit of 253v (230v + 10%). I'd make a complaint and get the REC to put ina voltage logger. I guess you are on an urban shared supply so they might not be able to do much without people at the end of the line falling below 216v (230v -6%)...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

230v +10%/-6% B-)

Anyone know what, if anything, is going to happen next year?. They put off the 230v +/-10% change due in 2003(?) until 2008, that is getting close now.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then you have the perfect opportunity/excuse to knock on doors and meet neighbours and very quickly find out if the problem is "just you" or widespread.

Reply to
dom

Yes indeed, my bad...

In terms of supply, presumably nothing. Appliance designs will need to be more flexible in theory, although in practice I doubt much will need to change. They will still need to make 240V compatible filament bulbs though unless some twonk decides to ban them.... oh, hang on a mo! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I now also have a table lamp that will not stop blowing 3A fuses, and the power supply has broken on one of my computers. :(

The man from the leccy board came out today and measured it - 247V, but he expressed alarm at something else that should have been 0.19 or so and was over 0.2, (something about return loop, and there were sparks flying when he stuck a screwdriver in!). I learned that there is a big substation in the next street that I hadn't noticed, but also that we seem to be the only ones with a problem (next door have not replaced a light bulb since they moved in 9 months ago!)

He did say that the V might increase in the evening so they are going to put a logger on it.

He also found that he had to tighten up a lot of screw things in the meter box - don't know more than that but he did claim that it might fix the problem.

Reply to
Maria

The former does not sound right, the latter is probably not much to get worried about unless it turns out to be noise / spikes on the supply causing a problem. In which case a UPS is the order of the day for any IT equipment.

Earth fault loop impedance? Does not quite sound right since 0.19 or 0.2 or even higher would still be quite acceptable.

If anything the early evening is probably when you would expect it to be at its lowest...

Time (and data logging) will tell...

Reply to
John Rumm