Please burn as much fossil fuels as possible

maybe, just maybe, it will bring on global warming. I am freezing, and it is almost July!

Reply to
Broadback

+1

except that all the signs are it wont (bring on global warming) in fact, the signature of the last few years is very similar to those that preceded the Little Ice Age.

"There is no consensus regarding the time when the Little Ice Age began,although a series of events preceding the known climatic minima has often been referenced. In the thirteenth century, pack ice began advancing southwards in the North Atlantic , as did glaciers in Greenland . Anecdotal evidence suggests expanding glaciers almost worldwide. Based on radiocarbon dating of roughly 150 samples of dead plant material with roots intact, collected from beneath ice caps on Baffin Island and Iceland , Miller et al. (2012)^[ state that cold summers and ice growth began abruptly between AD 1275 and 1300, followed by "a substantial intensification" from 1430 to 1455 AD.^ In contrast, a climate reconstruction based on glacial length^ shows no great variation from 1600 to 1850, though it shows strong retreat thereafter.

For this reason, any of several dates ranging over 400 years may indicate the beginning of the Little Ice Age:

  • 1250 for when Atlantic pack ice began to grow * 1275 to 1300 based on radiocarbon dating of plants killed by glaciation * 1300 for when warm summers stopped being dependable in Northern Europe * 1315 for the rains and Great Famine of 1315?1317 * 1550 for theorized beginning of worldwide glacial expansion * 1650 for the first climatic minimum.

The Little Ice Age ended in the latter half of the nineteenth century or early in the twentieth century"

sez wiki.

Human population had increased until the Black Death coinciding with a Year Without Summer wiped out up to half the European population. It then got colder for two hundred years stayed cold for 200 more and then got even colder before warming at the end of the 19th and more or less through the 20th.

And stopped at about 1995-1997. Since when its been statistically more or less flat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was nice yesterday though here, I did some pruning by feel and I'm sure I felt the sun.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think really you only need to look at what is happening world wide to notice more severe swings in weather. Thus its the extra energy in the system caused by the absorption of more suns heat that is the issue here. The problem is that this tends to make the equator more volatile still and deserts even more deserty, if that is a word. So Global warming of the oceans can occur, but it does not thus follow that the whole of the world will get hotter all the time, it will just oscillate to dissipate the energy. Hence the new term, climate change.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think you need to only look at the actual data, to see that there are in fact no more severe swings in weather.

They are just being brought to our attention by people with axes to grind.

For example, summer ice loss in te arctic is low this year. The whole arctic is not melting as predicted. In fact its headng back towards the mean. Meanwhile Antarctic ice has never been higher. Hurricanes last year were on average lower. Tornadoes were lower than average.

You can cherry pick any one thing, and say 'ooh look, that's different' but then with 100 things to pick from, statistically it will always be 'the most XXX month in the last 100 years' in some way.

except there doesn't actually appear to *be* any more energy. Hint: a cloudier world reflects more sunlight and reduces the energy. Water vapour is the natural thermostat. If it gets hotter one year it gets cloudier the next...

That's because people were beginning to get suspicious when global temperatures stopped rising 20 years ago. So its been spun into 'climate change' to make sure the pressure is still on to buy their planet saving products.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where? I don't see any worse weather than we have had in the past, just more reporting of it.

There is a minor increase in the total energy available in the atmosphere. At best it has increased from about 280 K to about 280.3 K. That is an increase of about 0.2%.

The oceans lag the atmosphere by tens of decades so anything that has happened since man started to be industrialised hasn't had time to affect ocean temps.

Thats just to hide the fact that the claims were wrong, now they over report "freak" weather in an attempt to prove climate change. "freak" weather being anything other than cold it would appear.

Reply to
dennis

About the only thing I found interesting during the Queens 60th anivesary recently was how bad the weather was during the corination in 1953

The only worrying thing I heard was that the amount of water vapour in the air had increase by 4% globally.

Reply to
whisky-dave

We have at least a 1200 years supply of coal here, so I am doing my best to burn it:

Matty F

recently was how bad the weather was during the corination in 1953

had increase by 4% globally.

At what altitude? If its high up it could be a green house gas. If its low down it makes rain. There are many other permutations.

Reply to
dennis