Please advise - I'm new to DIY. Using acrylic. Creating 'fake' window. Deceiving building owner.

It's hard for me to describe what I'm doing.

Please see this photo -

is my bedroom window

- I am not allowed to open my window (it is against my tenancy agreement)

- The window opens onto a private secure courtyard, covered by CCTV and I am more than 2 storeys up so security is not an issue

I want

- to use my mini satellite dish (30cm) which picks up Sky Digital (but doesn't work through double/triple glazing)

But the satellite dish works through a sheet of acrylic (very thin) which LOOKS LIKE glass (when viewed from outside - so if anyone looks up it will appear as though the window is shut.

So... from HomeBase I can buy a sheet of acrylic

Q. Please look at the photograph (on

)- the border of the window has a white frame (5cm). How can I replicate this?

Q. What can I put around the sheet of 'fake' glass (i.e. the acrylic) that will keep it in position (something rubbery maybe)

The sole aim of this is to make it APPEAR as though the window is shut in place (when viewed from the outside of the building)

(PS chris.holland16 on diy Oz forums- thanks for your advice about the acrylic)

Reply to
eye7clinic

White gaffer tape?

White gaffer tape?

Reply to
Adrian C

Adrian,

Thanks

But for the frame - the white plastic(?) material is raised - [perhaps

1cm thick] on top of the glass

Also - the shade of white - want to get this close (but in reality there is probably no way of doing so..

thanks for the advice about the Gaffer tape - much appreciated.

Reply to
eye7clinic

Just guessing here... PVC trunking?, self adhesive stuff, mitred at the ends to make a dummy window frame

Something like

?

Reply to
Mike Dodd

can you not just hang the dish out of the window??

Reply to
Mr Fixit

The op wrote stuff about not being able to open his window as it is against his tennancy agreement.

Surely replacing the window would be as well?

Also tennacy agreements are full of all sorts of stuff. Is anyone actually going to check, and or get upset if you open the window?

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Why on earth not? I think would quite likely contravene the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (IANAL). Is there any other form of ventilation available to the room?

And anyway haven't we done this before, under a different posting name?

or

Although last time you said you "I need to keep the window open..." which is a bit confusing.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, I doubt its legal too. But that probably wont stop you getting notice to quit.

Realistically, the idea of a fake window sounds quite unrealistic, its bound to get spotted.

If it were me I'd get advice on the legality of your tenancy agreement, then point it out in a friendly way, also asking what the landlords specfic concern is, so you can think if there is another way to solve it. Or move.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is this a project for which cost is a vital factor?

One way would be to source some double/triple glazing panels, to match, but >NOT< 'low-e' coated. It's the coating that stops the dish working. Then get a glazier to install it. (or DIY).

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Guys it is only student halls!!

No one ever checks inside (without giving us 1 weeks notice)

It's no big deal

We are just not allowed to hang a dish out the window

It's just a simple task....

Also, I live in the same block as Chris, I made reference to that in my original post

The window can be closed (as the sheet is acrylic - the satellite signal passes through a thin sheet of acrylic with no problem - as opposed to triple glazing...)

(re: ventilation: the window opens in two ways. I had to pick the lock in order for it to open as shown in the photo.. it also opens another way and it's confined by a window restrictor.. )

Reply to
eye7clinic

Almost certainly an unfair contract term and unenforceable. Are you not allowed ventilation in the room? If you can't open the window IMHO the room is uninhabitable and the landlord can't lawfully count it as a bedroom.

Owain

Reply to
Owain