Plastic to Metal adhesive - U.V. Proof - Harsh Environment Tolerance ?

as subject, does anyone know of an adhesive which will fulfil my requirement: to affix an air 'spoiler' to a windscreen wiper.

I'm changing my wipers tomorrow and the drivers side one has a plastic full length air spoiler fixed to it. the passenger side wiper does not and at speed, it's not making great contact with the windscreen. it's a design fault, for sure, but what I'd like to do is take the spoiler off the old wiper and fix it to the new, spolierless wiper arm.

question is, which adhesive to use ?

any suggestions ?

Reply to
.

Spoilers usually clip onto the wiper blade - they have small plastic lugs which push through the square holes on the blade steel.

I wouldn't try gluening it on - if it flew off at speed, it could scratch/chip your windscreen.

Reply to
Grunff

I know, I've got one in front of me :-)

unlikely to chip my winscreen, may be a hazard to other road users.

drilling and screwing was another option but I thought adhesive would be just as good. maybe epoxy ? the aftermarket spoliers are well tacky and would probably be stolen within days.

Reply to
.

No, I wouldn't trust epoxy in this application. If you have to glue, I'd be inclined to use polyurethane - this will be flexible enough to withstand the vibrations.

Drill + rivet if you can't clip.

Reply to
Grunff

thanks for the tip. I've even managed to find a /black/ mineral filled adhesive. which should help with the appearance. now I need to find a UK supplier of ' delo-pur 9692 '

not sure the plastic spoiler will take a rivet, perhaps a small stainless nut/bolt.

Reply to
.

================= A rivet would be lighter and safer than nut and bolt. Remember that you can reinforce a pop rivet with a small washer to spread the loaded area - both sides if necessary and accessible.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Car body filler if its a thermoset plastic.

Greasy polyolefin type plastics - you really need to screw it on.

If its the same size as the drivers side, hit a scrappy and get a blade from the drivers side on a wrecked car.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

erm, I have a blade/spolier from the old one I'm taking off :-) it's that one I'm attempting to fix to the near side wiper, which is 2" shorter than the OS wiper.

car body filler ? I've had some experience with it, not something I'd consider, really. I'm leaning towards drilling / riveting or drilling (for a good key) and adhesive but as it's raining and I've got a mild dose of man flu I'm still thinking about it so open to all other suggestions.

' delo-pur 9692 ' looks favorite at the moment.

Reply to
.

I think car body filler is great as a filler but not as an adhesive. The whole gluing thing I think is heading for failure, small bond area, dissimilar materials plus loads of stress & flex doesn't bode well, I'd go drill & rivet.

Reply to
fred

I'm leaning that way myself but that ' delo-pur 9692 ' is designed for high stress harsh environments where flexibility is required. when in doubt leave it for a bit is my motto :-)

Reply to
.