Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

My "better half?" bought one of these cheap (~=A320) small cold frames. For planting out a pot of mixed lettuce from the supermarket it's OK.

It consists of panels of double skinned plastic extrusion glued into a slot in an aluminium extrusion frame - and on one of the lid elements this glue has failed. Can someone please make suggestions as what glue would be suitable for this.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

That depends upon the type of plastic, as the bond between that and the adhesive is likely to be the weak point and different plastics have different bond strengths to different adhesives. You might find an aggressive double-sided adhesive tape, such as carpet fixing tape, better than a glue.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The most likely stuff to work is Evostick Serious glue or similar. But of course some plastics refuse to glue well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

try hot glue.

Or something in the mastic line.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's an excellent suggestion Colin. A few weeks ago I had to tow my figure across Europe. Because the bucket sucks out behind the trailer it haste have a long load triangle fitted. I got one in polycarbonate - the same material used for cold frame glazing but it was floppy and folded up when towed at 60. I got some aluminium track and bonded it to the plastic using "Mammoth" tape. Like carpet tape but much stronger.

Clean the surfaces carefully (I used meths) apply the tape to one surface, peel off the protection strip press into place. You only get one chance, the bond is as strong as epoxy.

It's sold by Toolstation as "power grip tape" it is available in 25mm and

50mm widths in rolls of 2.5 metres for £2.50/£4.50 respectively.

Product numbers: 63962, 66322

Reply to
Steve Firth

Take more water with it.

Reply to
Huge

Shouldn't this say 'sent from my I-phone while driving' ?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You should ask for a refund on your speech recognition software!

Reply to
Andy Burns

no. merely incomprehensible firth froth.

I don't see these much since I KF'ed the stupid arrogant sod.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought I was in the Stanley Unwin thread.

Reply to
Reentrant

It's the bloody iPhone, it corrects my typing behind my back.

Reply to
Steve Firth

almost correct. Sent from my iPhone while in the most boring meeting I've been in for months.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's finger recognition software.

----- That's an excellent suggestion Colin. A few weeks ago I had to tow my digger across Europe. Because the bucket sticks out behind the trailer it has to have a long load triangle fitted. I got one in polycarbonate - the same material used for cold frame glazing but it was floppy and folded up when towed at 60. I got some aluminium track and bonded it to the plastic using "Mammoth" tape. Like carpet tape but much stronger.

Clean the surfaces carefully (I used meths[1]) apply the tape to one surface, peel off the protection strip press into place. You only get one chance, the bond is as strong as epoxy.

It's sold by Toolstation as "power grip tape" it is available in 25mm and 50mm widths in rolls of 2.5 metres for £2.50/£4.50 respectively.

Product numbers: 63962, 66322

[1] Not for internal purposes, no matter what the previous message looked like.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Aww bless, perhaps if you didn't type such shit all the time there wouldn't be any need to correct the bollocks you write.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Can't you disable it?

Reply to