Plastic Shed

I went to CostCo today and saw an 8x6x7ft shed made in plastic which looked to be the business for what I want - comes complete with plastic floor. Cost £230 + VAT which seems like good value compared to an equivalent wooden variety.

I'm looking for something to store the usual junk that populates the garage rather than to work in.

Anyone got any comments on plastic sheds before I make a purchase?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

A neighbour of ours bought one two years ago and are pleased with it

- it's used for storing garden tools and gardening bits. It isn't exposed to strong sunlight but appears to be standing up well. In spring it gets cleaned by the simple expedient of carrying everything out, rinsing it down with a hose and putting it all back. Not terribly secure but that isn't a problem.

Reply to
Peter Parry

No, but I'll be reading replies with interest since I've just started using our 99 quid wood one in anger with the house clearout coming up to xmas. 'Course, since the original instructions for it said nail it together I've naturally chucked the nails away and used BFO screws in all instances as well as reinforcing the window, strengthening the walls and making sure the door hinges and lock can't easily be removed without making an awful lot of noise.

Total outlay is still less than £150 so like I say I'm watching replies :)

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Reply to
Capitol

I have two Keters (asked in here a few months ago). Bought the 'Jumbo' version which is short shed plus extension, and used one shed standlone and one with two extensions. Worked a treat. I anchored them all down with the usuall hammer-in screw fixings and some large steel washers.

One thing I was recommended to do (and haven't regretted) is to put something down as a rigid floor; the ribbed plastic has no great local strength. Bought some T&G loft boarding from B&Q, which fitted nicely.

Last time I looked, the Costco ones were the Keter ones. I bought from B&Q because Costco is a 90 mile round trip and I could barely fit one shed in the car. B&Q is only two miles away, and we ended up taking my wife's small car and unpacking the thing in the car park, and giving them the box back. She took the small bits and I took the large panels; the box was just too big. Then another trip for the second shed...and only a tenner more than Costco, if that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I presume you put the plastic floor down first, built the shed on top, and then put the T&G loft boarding down when the shed was complete?

Interesting! CostCo and B&Q are almost alongside each other in Reading. I'm thinking in terms of putting the shed on the roof rails of my Freelander - looks doable but I must check first.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Yes....built the shed, moved it into exact position, inserted the fix-down fixings, then put the boarding in. Used the B&Q ones at about

3.65; AFAIR two pieces, side by side, are just the right width, and then I just cust the last pair to length.

The box is bigger than you'd think, if you get the Jumbo version (the one that's about 2 metres long). I could not get it into a stripped-out Galaxy. In any case, the boxes were in poor condition as they'd been stored outside in the 'garden centre' with inadequate polythene covering. I wasn't bothered because it was more important to use a nearby branch, and I wasn't taking the boxes anyway.

Dimensions are (cm):

150 x115 x 50 150 x 115 x 40.5

(the two boxes are lashed together bu can be separated). Bigger than you'd think. Weight is 68.5kg and 40.5kg respectively. This is for the XL shed and then the extension pack (the Jumbo XL is just these two packs, sold together, which may be all you can get). As I said, I made one basic shed and then put both extensions on the other one.

See:

Bob Eager

The CostCo variety is like a regular wooden shed 8x6x7. Double door in centre of 8ft section. I think it's more like the Apex 8x6:

pop into CostCo again to get more details.....

PoP

PoP

When I was looking Argos were selling (and AFAIK they still do) the Jumbo XL for 250UKP, which included delivery. I got the 99UKP keter one for 81UKP at homebase (10% discount day when they were selling them with a tenner off already). It's definately worth shopping around for these. I'm pleased with the 'mini' shed, it was easy to build and doesn't leak, though it could do with being a bit bigger :)

Jason

Reply to
Jason

It was the fact that they would deliver it when they felt like it that stopped my buying it there...I can't stay in for days!

Indeed. Local Homebase were selling the XL (not the Jumpbo XL) for 199! I ran away...

Reply to
Bob Eager