plastic plumbing vs copper - a moan.

Thanks for the reminder, its getting frosty now but only just, not really frosty of -10C or so.

Draining is important or at least cracking the tap open. I've had a yorkshire elbow fitting pushed off the pipe by freezing. Do not under estimate the strength of freezing water...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can buy rigid plastic lengths for surface work.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You can do that with copper using microbore.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I would avoid pushfit fittings at 7.5 bar. I have known Hep2O to shoot off a pipe when a shower tap was closed fast, leaving an open end under a floor. Failures in plastic joints tend to be catastrophic. I would always have a shock arrestor on a pushfit plastic installation to protect the joints. I have known a Speedfit cap shoot off a cylinder and embed itself in the plaster on the opposite wall. Again an open end gushing.

Osma Gold's O rings have a "W" shape giving two points of contact. O rings are used in aviation, however not to the same standard as domestic plumbing.

The snips the makers provide to cut plastic pipes don't help as they leave a proud sharp point that can nip the O ring. I have looked at many "makers" cutters and they are waste of expensive time. Rothenburger have brought out

15mm and 22mm "pipe slice" plastic cutters to prevent this. They "turn", cutting the pipe properly.
?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=22344&searchbutton.x=0&searchbutton.y=0&searchbutton=submitMost plastic pipe site installers would have a Stanley knife in their top pockets and trim off after feeling around the cut ends after using snips..
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I wouldn't run mains water through 10 m of microbore if I were you. I certainly wouldn't run gravity fed hot water through 10 m of microbore.

15 mm or 22 mm plastic will work. >
Reply to
dennis

Fitting an insert as per the mfr's instructions effectively gives the cut end a chamfer, protecting the O-ring from the square edge.

Reply to
YAPH

That depends on if you are in a hard water area or not.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It doesn't.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The instructions I've seen only want inserts for compression fittings, for example when joining to copper. And not all insert types give a chamfer, even if you used them on other joints.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

No it depends on if you want some water to flow at the far end.

Reply to
dennis

You don't know much about this stuff do you? 10mm is more than adequate to supply a basin, even under gravity. As it is usually all one length of pipe with no elbows there is invariable less resistance. In fact 6mm is all you need in most cases using mains pressure. The smaller the pipe the less dead-leg pipe. In soft water areas smaller pipes sizes supplying sinks and basins is highly desirable. It is seen on the Continent a lot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Who was talking about 10mm pipe? I only saw microbore mentioned, or am I some sort of plant pot?

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Not if you buy the straight stuff.

Yes you can. You can buy formers to hold it in place at the minimum radius.

So? They're mostly hidden. They're not a lot bigger than copper compression joints.

That's user error.

Which needs special tools to put a bend in it, is harder to thread through joists, etc...

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You don't have a bath or a shower or a garden tap or anything useful?

Reply to
dennis

So what do you call microbore: hypodermic needles? :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Iv'e always considered microbore to be 6mm or less. Drivel is right in that 10mm is used extensively in France But of coarse it is virtually all mains fed.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Correct. Mini-bore above 6mm and small-bore using 15mm.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are very confused.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Does a junior hacksaw suffice for plastic microbore?

Reply to
Andy Burns