plastic plumbing

I am just in the process of refitting bathroom and toilet. I will be tiling the walls and probably the floors (may use vinyl though).

To simplify things I am considering using plastic pluming to plumb in a radiator/towel rail. Has anyone any idea on the reliability of using these fittings. I am happy soldering, but moving the pipes around is a lot harder, hence the thought of using plastic.

Obviously the last thing I want happening is for a joint to fail behind a tiled partition or under a floor.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
deckertim

oh its failed already....

Seriously, a particular advantage of plastic is that its easy to thread in so that there are no inaccesable joints.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I reckon its great stuff. I have a coil in the workshop if you only need a small amount mate.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

my opinon is to use plastic where it out of sight and the use copper for the stuff you will see. the plastic stuff works best under pressure and is suited to heating and water applications, never on gas though!

Reply to
Gav

I have never had any trouble with them. Remember that you can also use standard compression fittings with plastic pipe so long as you use the correct pipe inserts in the ends of the pipe.

You may find that with its ability to bend round corners etc, you can eliminate most joints anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

I would opt for copper in this case unless there are many twists and turns as the pipes will emerge from the floor to meet the rail and that short bit of plastic could be damaged more easily by hoovers or some unforseen reason. Copper is the tried and trusted especially as it is going to be inaccessible and will look better going into the rail. Another thing to consider is rodents can bite the plastic and thats not unheard of.

Reply to
noelogara

Not really, the hoover head just bounces off PEX, Hep2O or Speedfit pipe without damage.

Not sure what size of pipe the OP is proposing but its 8 or 10mm copper that's damageable by the hoover, its so soft.

well I give them plenty of pipe insulation to keep them busy.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

If you want it to look pretty, just switch to chrome pipe for the tails.

Reply to
John Rumm

but remember to remove the chrome if using with pushfit.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Or use compression joints instead of pushfit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And remember when using chromed copper to do them up a bit tighter than you would with ordinary copper pipe. That way the service valve won't pop off the pipe end when you pressure test it and go to touch it with a spanner to cure a "slight weep". DAMHIK! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes. You should a nice crunching noise when you are doing up a compression on chrome. It's probably best to strip off the end, but I haven't bothered.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

what idiot would forget that john?????????????

Reply to
Gav

There is a difference between forgetting and learning! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm