Plastic pipe in 60s flat, metric or imperial?

Is plastic pipe (HW and CW) in a flat built in the 1960s likely to be metric or imperial?
If it's imperial how can I connect to it as inserts are not available for imperial size pipes (I presume). The original system was all glued.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

washers. Could it be that only MDPE needs stiffeners & that earlier PVC & Polyprop doesn't? BES do universal transition fittings to MPDE only (I think) so you'd have to use an adaptor set to copper as well, messy & pricey. There must be a better way but here's the link anyway: http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/168.asp
--
fred

having found it was when I did some plumbing there many years ago.

The stuff in this flat is fairly hard (as plastics go) but very thin walled I think (I'm not there to check so I can't even measure it at the moment). I think the last plumber who did some work there has used compression fittings on it which seem to have stayed watertight.
Since I'm chopping back the plastic even further I can maybe re-use those same compression fittings (with new olives).
The standard of plumbing (and everything else) as originally installed was truly awful so the more I can get rid of the happier I will be. All the central heating has been re-done now (not by me) and the kitchen has been re-wired. The remaining bad bits are the rest of the wiring (the fittings are the bad bit) and the plumbing in the bathroom which I'm about to replace.

http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk |DN12 1BY

Hmm, while I could believe it's PVC of some sort it's certainly not creamy in colour, it's either dark brown or black.

I'd go for imperial, and I think someone mentioned LDPE as a likely material. Can you make out any writing on it?

That's what I did with mine. Not easy to get the inserts out to re-use, but 22mm compression seems to fit.
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:
Hello snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk

I would guess imperial, but...

Can you cut off a short section? If so, lug that down to your local plumbing centre and ask for an adapter from that to a more workable standard - say 15 or 22mm copper. If it's the thick walled black stuff, then it probably won't need an insert, but be guided by them.
Once you've converted to copper for a few inches, you can continue in whatever style you want.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK