Plastic Oil Tank life expectancy?

Hi All,

SWMBO is getting concerned......... Plastic Oil Tanks are guaranteed for 10 years, and ours is now approx

  1. Anyone know how long it might be expected to last (Titan 1000ish litre upright cylinder thing)

Anyone know if there are any warning signs, or do they just rupture while being filled one day?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
Chris Holmes

look for brittleness and white crumbly looking plastic.

I'd expect 40 years + in shade

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't worry. It will likely see you out. You could paint the upper surfaces to slow UV degradation. (Sunlight) if SWMBO is fretting. Titan is a good make.

Reply to
harry

+1. Perhaps more for polyethylene or polypropylene, which I think is the usual material. PVC and ABS seem to be good for 40 years. As TNP says, the UV from sunlight is one of the issues.
Reply to
newshound

As others have said longer than you. Our Titan tank is not far short of

20 years old and catches the sun. No serious signs of degredation, little bit of blooming on the surface. Compared to the much younger plastic gutter and down pipes it is brand new...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

neighbour's 1000 litre tank had to be replaced at 10 years.

Reply to
misterroy

They don't make 'em like they used to. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I suspect that correct installation with proper support of the base is important.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Not so much rupture as get attacked by UV and cracks start showing up along the top/sides, depending on the shape and degree of exposure. There's plenty of warning and the first you know about it is rainwater getting into your oil, causing flame-outs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Or the water freezing in the low point of the line stopping the oil...

That shouldn't happen here now I have a glass bowl oil filter on the outlet of the tank that will catch any water that gets out of the tank and being a glass bowl can be seen.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

SWMBO had a little man out to look at it today, and he reconds it's already cracking and will have to be replaced. She had the bright idea of claiming on the buildings insurance, I couldn't see it flying, and indeed they rang back to say it's not covered.

The little man wants =A31600 (or his company of unknown size) wants =A31600 All In to fit a new one (1300 L) including transfer of oil, disposal of old tank,VAT, etc, etc.

Sounds a tad on the high side, but this is the expensive Sarf.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he?

Reply to
Tim Streater

New ones have an inbuilt bund in case the inner tank fails. It 's like a double skin arrangement. You're sure your not looking at the outer skin/bund instead of the tank within?

Reply to
harry

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And have you seen these cracks?

Well 1300l tank costs over =A31000... maybe another =A3100 for the fitti= ngs etc. Labour, =A31600 might be high but not a great dal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If it's only just started cracking, fill the cracks with silicone and paint over them with a thick coat of rubberised paint, or just several coats of gloss. I had to do that on the tank of an OAP who just couldn't afford the cost of a new one (btw, a 900L tank was 300 euros) plus fitting. So far, it's lasted four years, but she has her grandson check it and repaint every year.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Can you just use ordinary paint on a plastic tank? Mine has some blooming of the original green colour going white on topside.

Reply to
philquinn69