plastic coin bags

Note "self checkout"! Asda & some others have hoppers (maybe not the right term) that you can dump the change into.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I remember those; I think they lasted into the 1980s.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Ah, but at least that way you're supporting the local economy. ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

The last time I asked for coin bags, the cashier tried to give me a bundle about an inch thick, so I asked for only half the stack. I still haven't used them up, a couple of years later.

Reply to
Adam Funk

No, it takes up too much valuable room. Can pack checkouts more closely, leaving more selling space.

These places aren't run for the benefit of customers, you know .-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Thursday 31 October 2013 16:43 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ah yes - it leaves room for all the extra unmanned checkouts...

;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

Somehow we manage to make use of some of the Tesco coupon thingies - but very rarely those from JS.

Indeed, we used to buy the majority of our supermarket shop from JS, but at more or less the same time as they opened a huge new store here, they seemed to go downhill in almost every way. Except prices which went uphill. Still a few things we go for. Though even then we quite often go to a branch in another town.

Reply to
polygonum

They need loads and loads of room for them. The other day at Morrisons five out of twelve were non-functional and some of the five were limited to cash or card or something like that. So whatever area they seem to need, double it.

Reply to
polygonum

Their most useful ones for us are the occassional 10p/L off fuel.

Experiment with being serially disloyal for 3-4 weeks at a time. They both welcome back the prodigal son with large numbers of discount vouchers and some of them even for products you actually might buy!

Reply to
Martin Brown

JS are becoming very much like Tesco.

Reply to
bert

polygonum put finger to keyboard:

It is a Coinstar in Asda, and the two options are 'Cash (service fees apply)' and 'Donate', which implies that there is no fee for Donate.

Reply to
Scion

Mike Tomlinson put finger to keyboard:

In my local Asda the machine is in the foyer, but it doesn't pay out cash, you get a printed ticket that you must take to the customer service desk. So you have to go into the shop but not, as you say, the main shopping area - the CS desk is near the entrance.

Maybe they are missing a trick. 10% service fee if you opt for cash or 5% if you opt for money off your Asda shop.

Reply to
Scion

In article , Scion writes

Yes, same here

That's a good idea, though if it were viable you would think the supermarkets would have thought of it first.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

On Friday 01 November 2013 14:19 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If everything had already been tried, there would be no new ideas.

Clearly there are from time to time...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Until a dozen ago I was a regular JS customer, but the more they expanded the more down-market they went

Reply to
djc

Thanks for getting back.

I did contact Coinstar some time ago but cannot find the emails. From memory, the fees for Donate are a tiny, tiny bit lower than for Cash.

They also have their seven partner charities and showed no real interest in adding others. In my book, I think they might at least allow almost any charity to be registered to get money. There is a mechanism on their machines to allow a charity to be identified by a code so it doesn't seem too advanced an idea!

Reply to
polygonum