plastic air vent thingies

Hi

I have a vent in the wall in my kitchen and want to put some sort of cover over it that you can open and close. I've used those plastic ones in the past but they're a bit flimsy and - well - just look like a cheap plastic vent cover. Has anyone come across, or made, a better alternative. One that is actualy closed when it's supposed to be aswell.

thanks

STeve

Reply to
Steve

Hi Steve Look for aluminium or brass hit and miss vents, such as:

Peter Taylor

There may be a reason it's there and not closable. Lets start by asking what gas appliances you have in the room and the volume of the room?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had this dilema recently with air vents in a couple of rooms (bathroom and dining room). On balance I decided that I preferred the ventilation especially in the bathroom.

One of the previous owners had put up cheap brass hit and miss vents that looked tacky. I bought some plaster air vents from the local builders merchants for a couple of pounds each. These are probably the same as the ones ripped out for the cheapo brass jobs.

HTH

Marc

Reply to
Marc Lee

Andrew

There's a boiler with a balanced flue, no problem there, and a gas cooker with an beefy extractor hood directly above it. I'd like to keep the vent as you can leave it open in the summer for a bit of a through draft.

Steve Taylor

Reply to
Steve

You've got allow air into the room before you can extract air out of it, so you should have a vent that opens to the outside, preferably at low level, so that heat and cooking smells are properly drawn away when you use the cooker hood. That way you get a circulation of fresh air always entering the room.

Reply to
BigWallop

trouble is though, that will give you cold feet. Better to have the fresh air vent at high level so the cold air mixes with the warmer by the ceiling. Richard

Reply to
richard

As the missus spends more time in the kitchen than me, and she already has the coldest feet possible, I think I'll stay clear of draughts down below.

STeve

Reply to
Steve