Plastering problem update

Five days later and the plaster still hasn'd dried! I'm suspecting the problem stems from using old plaster which I've had in storage for a few months?

Why does my finishing plaster always crack as it dries? > I recently repaired the plasterwork around a fireplace which I have > installed. > The browning went on fine, then the finishing coat, which I re-wet and > polished a few times. > All seemed fine, quite a smooth finish for me, then over the next week it > cracked and came away from the browning coat. > I always try to key the browning and have used pva to give better adhesion. > Is it because I am not letting the browning fully dry before finishing? > Thanks, > Ian > Perthshire
Reply to
IanW

Is that a question, or a statement??

You should not need to "key" the browning, which should be smooth when finished, but not polished. Are you allowing the PVA to dry before you apply your finish coat? That may be a problem, if combined with over-working the finish. You only need to get the finish smooth, not looking as if it's been glazed!

If the plaster doesn't go off too quickly, taking over 1/2 an hour, say, it should be fine. If it's still soft after 5 days something is wrong with it!

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

On 05/02/2004 IanW opined:-

My limited experience of plaster suggests that old plaster will set too quickly. You add the water in and the stuff starts to set before you even finish mixing it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You're quite correct, but f*ck off anyway.

Reply to
Cartonnage Dispapalize Ineptly

What is this all about??

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

In article , Rob Nicholson writes

It's about immaturity, imagine it is an attention seeking child* and just ignore it . . . .

*Oh, sorry it is, no imagining redq
Reply to
fred

Harry was naughty.

Reply to
Phil Kyle

So? Why the f*ck should readers of uk.d-i-y give a toss about it?

Reply to
R W