Plastering/Plaster Board Adhesive Question

Hi All, I have an old cupboard, about 1 metre square (used to house a WAU). Currently it's just emulsioned brickwork; If I plaster it, will I have to remove the emulsion first, or can I get away with using something like PVA as a bonding agent; alternatively, is there an adhesive I can use to bond plaster board to the brick work; the bricks are a little uneven in places, but the high-points could be cleaned off if necessary.

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

pva the brickwork twice (or three times) drying between coats. apply dollops of bonding, here and there - while the last coat of pva is still wet is OK press home plasterboard previously cut to size. use bonding to make good any gaps. skim with 'finish' job done. Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

There won't be much of a cupboard left will there?

Scratch through the paint, one coat of PVA is more than enough. If you put plain plaster on too thick it will warm up enough to send itself "off" too quickly. You can dilute it with sand or some other neutral ingredient such a sawdust to make a "bonding" or you can buy some bonding (a mix of mica and "finish"). I doubt it is worth it. A half cwt of finish plaster will be more than plenty for the job.

You could put plaster-board on as Hugh suggested or you you could just build up with thin layers of "finish" apply a new layer as it changes colour.

If you do adulterate your plaster make sure the trowels and buckets used are scrupulously clean afterwards or the finished finish's finish will be terrible.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Just lucky that it wasn't the product of a small country bordering Sweeden and Russia, or things could have gotten silly.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You can plaster just about anything reasonably rigid if you PVA it first, and providing the surface (paint in this case) isn't coming off.

Yes, there's a special plasterboard adhesive for this purpose, which includes cement, glue, and nylon fibres. However, I wouldn't try using this on paint myself.

Personally, I would use bonding coat to build the wall up to a flat surface, and then finish coat for facing it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reply to
Hugh