plastering over wallpaper?

i have herad you can and cant when it comes to plastering ove

wallpaper,can some one help me? also can some one suggest where i can buy a small trowel.one that woul work in a size for example above the door frame and ceiling

-- col34

Reply to
col34

I got a good 14 inch above my door frame, worked ok with a normal trowel :-)

My first plastering job was like this, bought a cheap trowel and cut it down to size with and angle grinder clamped in workbench, worked a treat!

Reply to
Dave Jones

Strip the wallpaper off first, the paste holding it is water soluble so when you plaster over it the water in the plaster will then start to dissolve the paste and the weight of the plaster will pull it off.

If you have washable paper on the walls, the plaster will not adhere to this anyway and, if you score the wallpaper to give adhesion, then the problem in paragraph one will rear its head.

You can buy a trowel at any of the 'sheds', tool suppliers or builders merchants reputable or otherwise.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

The reason you cant plaster over wallpaper is because the moisture i the plaster would make the old wallpaper peel.

I know its a hard job removing old wallpaper, but you have to do it fo reskimming the walls with plaster.

Sea

-- Sean Mc

Reply to
Sean Mc

To give yourself a better chance of a decent finish,don't forget to chamfer the edges and round off the corners with a file and put a bit of a curve across the trowel.

Reply to
trenchfoot

Don't do it.

You must have low ceilings or high doors if you can't get in there with a regular plastering trowel held sideways.

Reply to
Rob Morley

thanks to all that replyed to my thread, i wont be plastering over wallpaper now and will strip it off. like the idea of cutting a trowel down,will have to do that as i can seem to find a trowel smaller then 11 inches.searched the net and would of thought someone out there would of sold small trowels. once again thank

-- col34

Reply to
col34

Screwfix do one. :-)

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Buy an 11" jobby and take it to a engineers work shop and ask could they cut half inch of either side with their sheet metal cutter.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Have you thought about removing the architrave around the doorway?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I suggested that to him in September, in the thread "the right tool for the job?", see: Message-ID:

- however, no reply. Perhaps he doesn't see them, something to do wit "diybanter".

Reply to
Chris Bacon