Plastering in Spain

Plastering in Spain Im just about young enough to remember how easy it is to get plastered in Spain, however im going to spend a week with the in-laws who have retired out there and have asked me to plaster a wall and a ceiling during the visit. So question is, anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use as plaster, do they use gypsum and if so what types are available. TA

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark

I don't know how good your Spanish is, but these sites should hold some useful information.

would imagine there are regional differences between what is used and I am sure there will still be some plasterers who mix their own from what is available. I believe horse urine was a popular ingredient at one time in the Home Counties.

Reply to
dp

I remember on one TV prog, cant think which it was maybe DIY SOS, the british plasters were suprised how fast the plaster went off in the heat.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I rmember a similar type one where the secret aditive for the red and brown effects is soil or clay. I don't know what the stuff was added to though, possibly lime & sand?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Someone will no doubt jump in here if I'm wrong but AFAIK the UK is the only country which uses a two-coat plaster system; everywhere else it's single-coat. But I don;t know any more than that...

David

Reply to
Lobster

band-aid.

Reply to
Mark

It was really this point that got me thinking that perhaps they don't use gypsum, I did a ceiling in last years heat wave and were I started had

*dried* before I reached the other end of the room.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark

You might also want to check the previous thread on here about getting plaster out of a bucket!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

It wasn't the heat, but the local plaster they were using. It has to be mixed sloppy, then left to stand for a while until it thickens, then applied quickly before it goes off.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Was it that one a little while ago were a groups were doing up a house in Spain, and each week one couple got knocked out?

I remember that one chap was a plasterer or builder, and the stuff they used in Spain was very different

Reply to
chris French

Ok fair point.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Like SWBO, unsuccessfully trying to buy butter in the corner shop.. "Er...burro? burro?" When she got back and consulted the phrase book, she found why she'd been glared at by the proprietor - she'd been asking for 'donkey'.

Reply to
Lobster

I think they call it Yesu, Geso or Yosa or something like that, and I've got a feeling that someone told me it was plaster of Paris, but I can't be sure. Good luck, at least the weather is good out there. Tom

Reply to
Tom

Gypsum plaster is plaster of paris with aggregate and retarders added (and possibly other mystery ingredients like pink colouring ...) I expect that more retarder is added in hot climates

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

In article , Anna Kettle writes

Why don't they use multifinish like wot we do?......

Reply to
tony sayer

anyone done work out there and know What the Spanish use

That's the stuff. Spelled with a 'g' I believe but pronounced 'yes-O'.

Don't know a lot about it, but FiL lives in Spain and told me they have (at least) two types. Normal gesso, for rendering and gesso rapido which sets ridiculously quickly. He described some tradesmen putting in wall boxes for electrics. They carved out a big hole, wired up, mixed up gesso rapido to the consistency of milk. Within minutes it was like a paste and when thick enough they slap it into the hole around the electric back boxes. It sets completely solid almost straight away and holds the box in place very securely.

With normal gesso the conventional practice seems to be to slap it on in as rough a manner as possible and not to even bother trying to smooth it off. ;-)

-- Steve

Reply to
Fitz

Cos they like rough scratchy walls ?

Reply to
G&M

OK thanks everyone for the replies, ive decided to take a few bags of proper British Gyp plaster out there, Cant be assed with all this foreign Rapedo nonsense im going by boat, door to door almost, could be fun trying to explain the bags of white power to customs though :)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark