Plastering a wall in bathroom

I've never pplastered a thing in my life well maybe my thumb after some spirited hammering.

I have a wall in the bathroom which is a little firther back than the rest of the wall and though hmmm might be time to level it out... Now I guess I have to plaster it right ? what kind of plaster do I need ... just wondering if there is anything specific needed as its in a bathroom ?

Also once it has dried is plaster paintable or doe it need some kind of coating ?

I shall google a bit about it. But advice welcomed from the pros of diy

Reply to
Peter smith

Possibly - hoe much difference do you nee to make up? over what sort of area?

Nothing special required for a bathroom.

You can paint it directly as long as it is reasonably smooth.

Reply to
John Rumm

IMHO, it's not an easy skill to learn if you want that perfect finish a pro gets - especially if you're going to just paint it. Easy enough to get a level surface suitable for tiling, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What I have done is to use battens top and bottom of a wall and use a straight piece of planed timber to ensure the wall is flat with backing, either browning or sand-cement. When that has dried, the battens are removed and filled in. It is possible to get a flat good surface with a very thin top layer and making sure the wall is thoroughly wetted before applying the top layer. Then work the layer until it looks polished, wetting the top coat as when it's needed to keep it workable. It does take a lot of practice though.

Reply to
Fredxx

This simple looking job is damn difficult, I done a few bits in a house I was renovating and all I can say is I am glad I am not renting it! I can do most DIY jobs but plastering has me beat. Read all you can but experience is the key. Its all about preperation, correct mixture and timing and then knowing what you are doing.

Reply to
SS

Yup. Of course by all means have a go. Nothing to be lost apart from a few quid and some time possibly wasted. If the worst happens just get a pro in to do it properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Put a floodlight on the floor shining up the wall. Then you can see the irregularities while you are plastering, rather than later when you've painted the wall with gloss paint! .

Reply to
Matty F

Getting it flat and level isn't difficult if you take time positioning the battens or beads. Getting it smooth enough to paint is the difficult bit, but you can always get a plasterer in for the final bit. IME they don't quote by the day like other trades, so any work you do is likely to reduce the price

Reply to
Stuart Noble