plastering

I have bought Thistle bonding coat and Thistle multifinish plaster to plaster up a blocked in window. Can any one give me a few tips or recommend a website, to make a decent job of it. I have not done any plastering so any help is appreciated. Thanks Neil

Reply to
Neil

I've posted a couple of long articles on how to plaster in the past, as have a few other people. Use google to dig them out.

I would suggest finding some other area to practice first, like the inside of the cupboard under your stairs, a small wall of the garage, or similar.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

One piece of advice is...DON'T BLOODY PLASTER IN HOT WEATHER...providing you dont want to sweat and work twice as fast.

Reply to
ben

Another is get a mixer attachment for your drill. And finish needs to be really well mixed.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet

Also get someone to mix up for you, otherwise you'll be in panic city when doing large walls particularly with the skim coat

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

pffft! no stamina then.

half an egg cup full of washing up liquid prolongs the cosistancy time of the mix.

Reply to
ben

I also add a splash of self levelling compund. Helps to flatten out the finish.

Reply to
EC

Err no, I never said it was tiring and I have plenty of stamina. For a beginner it is very difficult to mix up and plaster especially in this hot weather unless you have a tried and tested method which will only come after practice. This was my experience as a beginner anyway and it WILL make his life a lot easier

Reply to
r.rain

You jest, I don't. :-)

Reply to
ben

Ok I'll let you off :-) since I've been at it 8 years. I don't plaster in hot weather, but if its not possible I have a large blower fan pointing away from the work area.

p.s I dont use a drill mixing rod, jus ye olde mixing method of stick.

Reply to
ben

That might make you feel better, but it probably doesn't have any noticable affect on the plaster going off quicker in warm weather.

There's nothing wrong with a drill mixing rod. They are quite good at burning out cheap underpowered drills with no gearbox though -- watch that do don't overheat such a drill whilst running it at low revs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

See my post about Washing up liquid.

[snip]
Reply to
ben

Thanks to everyone for advice on plastering and links etc. It all went well for a first attempt. Neil

Reply to
Neil

You probably used the brush to lash water at the wall when smoothing the plaster.

Use a spray bottle next time. :-)

Reply to
ben

Reply to
Neil

This website may help you

seems to be quite informative and it looks like they have gone t lots of trouble with the pictures.

Or you could always go on a course at

weekendwarrior

Probably better off letting the tap run a while to get the coldest water possible if slow going off is what you want.

I once tried hot water from the boiler and the plaster sets in the bucket before you have chance to use it.

Reply to
ocidental