Plasterboarding - how to level all the supporting batterns across a long wall?

Hi,

I appreciate you can level individual batterns horizontally / vertically using a spirit level or similar, but if the walls are bumpy and irregular, how do you level the whole support across large spans so that the plasterboard sits perfectly across the length and breadth of the wall?

Do you fit spacers or something - I've been pondering the best method but if there's a correct way to carry this out?

Reply to
tester

I've never done it to be honest, but spacers are very useful for all sorts of jobs.

The Medway Handyman

It's easier to level everything with a skim coat of plaster. You can pack battens with bits of hardboard or whatever but it's a painstaking job. Even more fiddly if you're fixing to the original joists

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Most walls have painted paper and some (bathroom) has paint onto ragged plaster / blocks. I have tried getting the paper off the hallway, but it's a real pain. To do the hall / front room, bedrooms (2 off), let alone anything else will take months at this rate to try and get the paper off - that's before pva/plaster.

So, I thought I'd just plasterboard most walls as they are brick with plaster on, but done to a wonky and horrible standard. It's an old house. So I have to work taking into account all walls in the house are painted paper over something, but no plasterboard in the house at all at present.

btw - in the store the plasterboard itself seemed quite heavy - does anyone know approximately how heavy general size plasterboard actually is? I find it amazing that the dot and dab (?) fixing method works with such heavy sheets of plasterboard.

Reply to
tester

If this is a new wall set end studs to be plumb - vertical ... run a line across top & bottom from one end to other, and make sure all others studs touch this line, you may need to wallop a tad to move them on header/footer timbers. Just concentrate on one side of wall only.

Run string diagonal .. corner to corner to check all is OK

Then fit your horizontal noggins (or Dwangs if up t'north) fit the edges flush with the edge of the studs and you should be all Ok on one face.

On other side as long as all within 3mm or so ... just ignore it and fix boards .... if you have the odd noggin sticking out - then I run an electric plane over them ... few seconds to put them right.

If there are any more than 3mm shallow, staple on some hardboard.

Mark your floor & ceilings with a pencil at the stud centers to make finding then easier when nailing up.

For Plaster board (quaint old stuff) ... stagger boards on alternate faces .. i.e. joints are not on same stud on both sides.

For Fermacell (much better IMHO) ... do not stagger, joints must be on same stud.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Agree about packing; Screwfix do "funny" screws which lock into the batten and can then be backed off to serve as standoffs. I have a box but havn't tried them yet.

Reply to
Newshound

Thanks - it all looks easy until the moment I am prepared to start.

Reply to
tester

The way I read the Op it is not a new stud wall.It's to sort out an existing wall by putting battens up and boarding them . The way I'd do it is put up the two end battens and make sure they are vertical then fit the ones between remembering the spacing to suit the p/board being used . Then fit horizontal battens as required ,especially if the boards being used do not go floor to ceiling ..remembering that battens will be needed at any joins .

On the other point 8 ' x 4' 12.5 boards are HEV V V V V V Y !!!!

Reply to
Stuart B

Yeah - I tried lifting one a bit when layed flat in wicks - not easy for one person to carry or use.

Some walls are not too bad but have painted patterned paper as stated

- can plasterboard be fixed directly to the brick wall and if so, what is the best thing to attach the board to the wall - with no batterns?

Reply to
tester

I found this device during a trip to the U.S. some while ago.

's remarkably effective for the handling of large sheets of drywall, plywood and MDF.

It wouldn't be that hard to make one from wood..........

One method is to use dabs of plaster on the wall and to push the board onto them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Similar thing without wheels:

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=board+carrier&x=0&y=0Certainly helps when moving 18mm ply sheets alone.

Reply to
dom

I thought that works onto brick - but the walls have painted paper.

Reply to
tester

No. Paper would have to come off.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:12:25 +0100, Andy Hall mused:

I believe that's a full circle then.

Reply to
Lurch

I didn't paint over the gas tap....

Cutting it short, it seems as though the options are

- paper off

- paper and plaster off

- battens screwed to wall and plasterboard.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Or just swamp the whole thing in pva and skim. I wouldn't want to lose that much space with battens and PB, not to mention all the faffing about round doors and windows

Reply to
Stuart Noble

PVA and skim over painted wallpaper - serious?

Reply to
tester

Not ideal but, with enough pva and scoring the surface, it would probably hold. Try it on a section.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:15:31 GMT, tester mused:

He might be, but ignore it.

Reply to
Lurch

I've seen instances where woodchip had been skimmed in older houses, student lets etc, and had held up remarkably well. Depends what kind of a job you want to do

Reply to
Stuart Noble