plasterboarding a ceiling

I have been told by a plasterer that the plasterboard thickness should be 12mm for increased fire resistance (downstairs dinning room). Any comments?
Nick wrote:

Thicker PB might help noise transmission from your "dinning" room... Anyway, 1/2" (12.5mm) plasterboard is a better bet than 3/8 (9mm) as it's a bit stronger, as well as slightly better fire-wise. It's not a lot dearer, either. I don't use thinner PB - I think it's a false economy. You can get fire resistant PB - this costs twice as much as "ordinary", and has glass fibres in the mix. It is noticably stiffer, too, and you can tell it's different when you score/cut it.
J.B.
No reason for fire unless you require fireproofing between floors to satisfy a regulation. In a normal domestic dwelling of ground floor and 1st floor their is no reason to have a fireproof ceiling. I doubt if the doors will be to fire retardent standard so a ceiling is not a problem. If the house has to satisfy a regulation then it will be much more than the ceilings that need doing. You usually put the thickness of board to suit the joist spacing

Its bloody heavy! I just spent most of the day boarding a 5x6m ceiling with 12.5mm TE board.
Tony

Don't know why but all ceilings are 12.5mm board, could be something to do with sound? Fire? Less chance of sagging? Or all 3 and more.

They certainly aren't - I've done mine with 9.5 mm board. Just who do you think uses up all those great piles of 9.5 mm board in the B&M's and sheds?

thicker board will marginally reduce sound transfer, but not to any great amount I would think.

As someone else has said, there is no need for this in the normal domestic situation. There are of course situations where the extra fire resistance is required.

Depends on the joists spacing I guess. Our joist are less than 450mm spacing on the whole and it is no problem.
12.5mm board is significantly heavier than 9.5mm (about 25% I suppose). If you are boarding a ceiling, esp. mostly by yourself, this makes a big difference.
--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French wrote:

Suffering from a compressed neck by any chance?
In a similar vein, what are the top tips for plasterboarding a ceiling. I guess exposed rafters are easier than adding to an existing lath & plaster one.
I have knocked up a couple of T props, which are slightly longer than the room height. Lean one against the wall to provide a ledge to start from, lift board, rest on head, stick in other prop, screw in fixings.
--
Toby.

plaster has come away it's not a problem certainly preferable to pulling it all down, though I accept it is a bit of a bodge i guess.

another room done tomorrow I leave it to the plasterers. A couple of blokes who do it all the time can have the ceiling boarded in no time and it doesn't really add very much to the final bill.
--
Chris French, Leeds

NHBC regs state all ceilings are 12.5mm board minimum is what i meant to say! The piles of 9.5MM board could be used on walls me thinks!!

Once you've nailed it up and skimmed it, who's going to know the difference?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Sam

And the relevance of NHBC to those of us not building new houses......?
--
Chris French, Leeds