Plasterboard: which way round

I need to fix plasterboard to a ceiling and a studded partition but which side goes to the outside to be skimmed? The side which has the paper covering falling just short of the edges, or the side which has the paper right across it and wrapping to the other side?

The second one.

Reply to
Grunff

That was quick! Thanks!

The side which has big blue writing all over it saying "plaster this side only" :-P

David

Reply to
Lobster

Frank For skimming its the light side facing you. For artexing its the dark side. Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

PS. It used to be the opposite way round, which confused many people.

Reply to
calums

Most boards these days have a light and a dark face. The light face is the one to skim or decorate.

Reply to
John Rumm

Also, if it's tapered edge, the taper goes to the front (not completely obvious if you were expecting the taper to be a 45cm bevel, rather than a 1-2mm over 50.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have often thought why does it make a difference if it is going to be plastered and painted or papered?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Unless it's Knauf when the writing says "plaster other side only"

Reply to
Andy Burns

IANAP but perhaps relative absorbency of the two different paper faces? the direction of the overlap of paper around the edge? different adhesives used under the different faces? if the brown edge uses thicker paper then the screws not self-sinking into it so well?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's brown, actually!

Discovered when I unwrapped the boards to cut them. They had been held together with shrink wrap and had been packed with the instructions on the inner faces.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.