plasterboard type coving

Hi there

I am about to embark on installing some of this coving. A plasterer told me that it is quite possible to use skim plaster as the "glue". Has anyone tried this ?

Also, in anticipation of my mitre joints not being perfect - what is best to use to fill them ? Again, could skim be used ?

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

You can use skim plaster but it tends to go off too quickly and makes everything a bit nerve racking. The proper adhesive is cheap and you use it to fill the gaps in the mitres as well as any gaps along the wall due to curves.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

A tip I was given by Gyproc guy - use a thin paint brush to wet any bare ends of the coving before filling. This stops all the moisture being drawn out of the adhesive and premature cracking of joint.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

A professional Artexer/Cover told me he used Artex to glue and fill coving. Have used it ever since and it is brilliant. Don't bother with coving glue (the stuff which is like plaster) - it's expensive and doesn't sand easily. Skim plaster? - it's very similar in texture to coving glue - I don't think it's as easy as Artex to sand.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

Hi Biggles,

Ive never used Artex. Does it come in powder form to mix up or is it ready mixed (or even both !)

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

In message , Tim Smith writes

I imagine both, but we've only ever used the dry stuff, it keeps for ages, seemingly indefinitely.

Used it sticking up coving, it works fine, as does drywall adhesive (my plasterers preferred thing) My FIL likes to use It as a filler, don't like it so much for that, though it stays workable a lot longer than pollyfilla etc.

Reply to
chris French

Just following on then is there anything special I need to do before painting ?

The insutrctions mention "Artex Coving Primer" which sounds expensive and unescessary to me.

Can I use emulsion straight on ? or should I use gloss and a primer ? Whats the usual technique.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Smith

I use thinned matt emulsion as the primer (assuming emulsion finish is required). Something around 10% water added should be fine.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel