Plasterboard shelf life.

Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of years. Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

should be fine - you'll see if its broken up due to physical damage or water

NT

Reply to
NT

Might be slightly bent - but should be nail/screwable flat again ;-)

They like to keep gypsum out of landfill these days...

Reply to
John Rumm

do be aware it may shrink a LITTLE once its up and fully dried out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So fly tipped with the asbestos now, no doubt.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The instructions from my plasterer when faced with 1 year old PB was to spray with water first and allow to soak in. Fresh PB will still have some moisture in from storage at the BM

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I wonder where they think it came from in the first place?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Indeed. IIRC the problem is related to it being mixed with other biodegradable waste products rather than being a problem in itself. Hence they try and recycle a fair amount of it.

John Rumm

Personally I wouldn't make a shelf out of plasterboard, I don't think it would last long....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oh I don't know. Batten on the front edge, hardboard on top.....

Reply to
newshound

I've seen plaster shelves once, they were fine. It was a lot thicker than half an inch of course.

NT

Reply to
NT

My local tip has a covered over skip just for plasterboard

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Since 1 April 2009 Environment Agency rules state that gypsum based waste should be collected seperately and sent for recovery. Bunging it in landfill with biodegradeable waste can produces hydrogen sulpide a smelly and toxic gas.

But not all HWRC's have a gypsum skip as there are so many different ones these days they don't have the space. Several of the ones around here don't and those that do have a note saying call first to make sure there is space...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice