Plasterboard screws

I am trying to put up some fittings in the bathroom. It came with wall plugs and screws but as I have a house made of plasterboard I have bought some medium strength plasterboard screws. They are the thick fat type that screw into the pb you then put a screw into the centre of it, like this

is the first one went in no trouble, the second one just kept spinning around it would not and could not get a grip. Can anyone help me here please.

Thanks sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Got any no-nails Sammy? squeeze a load into the hole and a load round the screw insert then shove it into the hole and leave to set for 24 hours.

Reply to
George

I have George I will give it a try. THANKS again George you're a lifesaver.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

The only ones I have found to be stable are the type that you push in after drilling a hole, then screw a set screw in, which expands the back out in 4 sections.Re-usable and strong. Screwfix and most other DIY places sell them:

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Hi Sam

I use these all the time and occasionally get the same problem.

If its a plasterboard partition wall, e.g completely hollow (internal) and you pre drill a 6mm hole in the pb then they are 100% successful. The pilot hole is essential IME.

If its an external pb covered wall its likely to be dot & dab so you may well have blockwork behind the pb with a small gap. What happens in this case is that the point of the fixing hits the block & stops the fixing getting a grip on the pb.

For internal pb walls I use Fischer Universal Plugs

Rawlplug Uno Plugs
will work in literally any wall whatever the construction. I getting to prefer the Rawlplugs.

Get a Bosch Multi Material drill bit 150mm long & drill in the length of the plug + about 20%

is now my standard external wall technique & I've never had a problem.

I use the self drilling anchors you mention only on internal hollow walls.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The OP might try just wrapping masking tape round the thread. This has worked for me on the plastic toggle type plugs

Reply to
stuart noble

Whatever fixing you use, its only ever going to be as strong as the PB you fix to. And that isnt very strong. If you have the option to fix to something more solid, such as an upright, then do.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Redidrivas are quite touchy about the hole they are in - once you over tighten them they will never grip as the plasterboard they need to grip on to isn't there any more.

Your only option there if you want to still use redidrivas is to maybe move the fitting enough left-right or up/down to get fresh plasterboard and start again.

If you can't move it, then it depends what is behind the plasterboard. If there's a stud nearby (a piece of wood screwed to the wall that the plasterboard is then nailed to) you could attach the fitting to that. To find it you'd need to use a 'studfinder' (best tool name ever) or tap the wall to see when it sounds less hollow then prod a few test holes with a scewdriver to find the stud. You may need to drill new holes in the fitting so they line up. I'm assuming it's a bathroom cabinet or something, so you can make new holes in the back and hide test holes behind it...

If there is no stud (likely in a new house that's been dot-n-dabbed and you have to have it where it is, either drill a new fixing hole and use a redidriva again, or use much longer screws and normal rawlplugs into the brick wall behind the plasterboard+cavity. If the wall behind the plasterboard is more plasterboard, you can't do that.

Someone at work recently had a set of shelves fall down along with the entire plasterboard sheet they were firmly attached to. He claims they were already in the house when he bought it, though ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul