Plasterboard & Plastering

Unwise.

If you use bonding plaster, it's highly likely to crack. Flexible filler doesn't sand.

I found the glass fibre tape much easier to use than the paper stuff.

Reply to
Andy Hall

quoted text -

Thanks Andy, I will let you know how i get on when I have a crack at it.

Tom

Reply to
Thomarse

It is mainly intended to reinforce the joint. Without it you would soon get fine cracks along the board joints, just from vibration or thermal movement.

Reply to
John Rumm

One other thing is to try to make sure that the framing is straight and square in itself. That way, the plasterboard sits flat when fitted.

You could even take a couple of pieces, fit them up and practice. Plasterboard is very inexpensive.

I actually found it wasn't necessary and just jumped straight in. It wasn't a problem. As I said, I'm useless at plastering, but managed the drywalling exercise with no trouble at all

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks to John and yourself for this.

I must buckle down and get on with it then.

Reply to
EricP

================================== The fibre glass tape is easier to apply (usually self-adhesive) but it's thicker than scrim so it can be more difficult to get a flat finish.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

9.5 mm plasterboard is not available with a tapered edge (only 12.5mm is) so a taped finish is not possible.

Maris

Reply to
Maris

Yeah but, only cheapskates use 9.5mm PB ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Knauf Wallboard in 9.5mm taper edge looks to be available in the UK . (Follow the wallboard link on

was looking for the DIY pages of Kauf - see
and their Flash presentations on topics such as plastering, dry lining (taping and sanding back clearly addressed), aquapanel.

Peter K

Reply to
PeterK

So buy 12.5mm...

The stuff costs next to nothing anyway

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've used lots ot TE 9.5mm. How long has it not been available?

Reply to
<me9

What the Hell's 9·5mm? Is it 3/8" in real size?

It seems so unusual having these wierd 'metric' sizes for real things. I mean, why have '9.5mm' rather than '10mm'?

Let's be honest - we all really use/think in real dimensions...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No it's 9.5mm

Because it's 9.5mm and has to remain compatible.

18mm ply moved from being sold in deprecated units some years ago, much to the chagrin of the U.S. who have still not caught up with the rest of the world. They still sell special construction calculators to add up the bizarre fractions.

Which are mm. I haven't used the old stuff since primary school, over 40 years ago.

All we need to do is to get rid of the inconsistencies like miles and then life will be even simpler.

M "In 800 metres..... well I'd call it half a mile, but we have to say

800 metres these days because of that little bastard, Napoleon... "

I frequently use the navigator in the back of taxis - keeps the driver honest. I try to remember not to use Cleese when making a taxi trip around the Boulevard Peripherique, though ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not really, no. As has been said, It's to help stop cracking along the joint line which is more likely with an untaped joint.

Reply to
chris French