Plasterboard or equivalent for cloakroom project.

For my cloakroom refurbishment project, I am thinking about what do do with the walls.

These are stud partitions on two walls and have historically had tiles in specific areas.

Inevitably, their removal has left a mess and I want to tile a somewhat different area afterwards and paper the rest.

Looking at it, I am beginning to think that it really isn't worth the trouble of rubbing them down, removing old adhesive and so on.

Plus, I need to introduce some reinforcing structure to support some granite worktops and to conceal the built in parts of some wall mounted taps.

Hence, ripping out the existing plasterboard and replacing it,appears to be an increasingly attractive option.

However, I am not sure that I want to go to the trouble of getting a plasterer in to skim the new plasterboard. I would rather select a suitable wall board (maybe it is plasterboard) and to just tile and paper onto that after a suitable surface treatment (or not).

Does anybody have a recommendation of a suitable board that would be effective for this?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes. It is called plasterboard! Specifically 12.5mm taper edge, rather than straight edge. To join, you need jointing tape and joint filler. There's no need to paper over it if you fill it right, but you can if you want.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

What about plastic wall cladding over the whole of the walls? You might feel it looks rather Public Convenience, but it might make a small room look larger and less cluttered having only one style of wall finish throughout. Or tile the whole thing (including the floor).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:37:01 +0100, Owain wrote (in article ):

Interesting thought but I don't think it would look right. I just ordered the sanitary and brassware and the style is natural looking materials and minimalist approach.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Unless it's a particularly large cloakroom a single large sheet would probably do so there would be no joins except at the corners.

Reply to
adder1969

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:14:47 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote (in article ):

OK, thanks Christian. So the purpose of the taper is to provide space for filler and tape?

Presumably filling can be done with a float followed by a light sanding?

What would one do in preparation for a) tiling and b) wallpaper? Does it make sense to use PVA or something like that, or is there another way to avoid a replacement of the plasterboard next time round?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would do nothing for either.

I would think that you are unlikely to avoid damage to the surface when removing tiles (or even wallpaper). I'd budget on new plasterboard each time. It's only 5 quid a sheet!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle