Plasterboard on lath/plaster?

What's the feeling on 12.5mm plasterboarding over stud partition flaky but not completely gone lath/plaster?

The wall in question has radiators each side and one door opening.

I think it will be easier, quicker and better to take the lath/plaster off. My main concern is the rads - the pipes won't 'give' sufficiently. I'm also not happy fixing straight to an unsound surface, or losing an admittedly small part of the room, or making good the door opening, and doubtless something else I haven't thought about. And it just feels wrong.

My helping mate thinks the opposite. Nothing could feel more right.

Cheers, Rob

Reply to
RJH

Never underestimate the amount of dust, crap etc you will generate in removing lath/plaster. And the number of nails to remove.

Reply to
Phil

I would take it off. Useful for lighting the fire too.

Reply to
harry

Removing L&P produces so much crap it destroys everything. You'll never get any surface clean again without a full redec. The amount of filth is... beyond words. Its more work and a load of disposal too.

Leaving L&P will much improve sound deadening & fire resistance. The one downside is the wall level will be further out. Since you've already got a semisolid surface there, why not wipe it with wet plaster and fit 9mm pb?

Take the opportunity now to put anything useful in the cavity. Fibreglass, gravel perhaps, weights on the noggings, electrical wiring if it might be useful.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Your helping mate has obviously pulled down lath and plaster before and experienced the amount of foul crap, dust, mess etc the job produces.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

any surface clean again without a full redec. The amount of filth is... beyond words. Its more work and a load of disposal too.

Yep, it's been pretty grim. I posted some pics last week:

And the partition wall aside, we've done all that we're going to do. It's been about 20 rubble sacks of plaster. The pitched areas were plasterboard, so it could have been worse. Next door has taken the lath for kindling. The plasterers are in next.

One of the worst (or best) finds was a brick missing from each chimney stack - in exactly the same place on each. Two rubble sacks of soot sucked out. Just the weirdest thing, and a vivid illustration of how important it must be to test flues on houses this old.

downside is the wall level will be further out. Since you've already got a semisolid surface there, why not wipe it with wet plaster and fit 9mm pb?

gravel perhaps, weights on the noggings, electrical wiring if it might be useful.

I could see that approach with a party wall, but it's not that critical here. Coming round to the plasterboard over lath/plaster though. How would you fix the plasterboard? The lath/plaster is about 2cm.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

Nails - hundreds. Been using hammer claw, but it's slow going. Any quicker way?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
RJH

Ceiling, leave it there, unless it's physically falling off. Wall, remove it to the woodwork.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

3cm screws?
Reply to
ARW

drywall ones & you could be onto something......

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

A woman having HRT?

Reply to
ARW

Ah yes, thanks. Maybe 5cm coarse to go through the 12.5mm plasterboard and 2cm lath and plaster.

Reply to
RJH

downside is the wall level will be further out. Since you've already got a semisolid surface there, why not wipe it with wet plaster and fit 9mm pb?

gravel perhaps, weights on the noggings, electrical wiring if it might be useful.

Screws, I wouldnt use nails

NT

Reply to
meow2222