plasterboard in skips

What with all that sulphate! I'll get my hat.....

Reply to
Clot

LOL !

Reply to
Franko

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

A couple of years ago in Oxfordshire at least, plasterboard ceased to be classified as inert waste because it might be contaminated. I kid you not! Supposedly plasterboard cannot be guaranteed not to come from a kitchen and thus might harbour all sorts of disease. Thus, instead of being treated as rubble/hardcore it had to be treated as "landfill"

Times change, and as of April fool's day, all gypsum products are no longer "classified" as "household waste" round here. This means only certain tips will accept plasterboard or waste plaster under a special "1,2,3 for free" scheme - whatever that is. I found this out when I was severely reprimanded at my local tip last week :-(

tom.harrigan

Well, the gypsom came out of the ground. Not sure what else is in it other than the paper.

As for spent plaster, when washing out my buckets, tools, etc between each plaster mixing, I chuck it over the lawn, which seems to love it. In one place, there was a hole where a small tree stump had been pulled out, and I kept pouring the washings into that, and it built up quite a thick layer of plaster, filling the hole, which now has lots of grass growing enthusiastically on it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Quite. Gypsum is one of the standard soil amendments

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

Then they'll love all the glasswool I've just stripped out. Full of mouse shit and rat shit and very probably harbouring all sorts of diseases!

Cue increase in flytipping, now from ordinary people who would previously have been fine upstanding and law abiding citizens...

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

The house I'm fixing is all of about 3 miles from the hole in the ground where lots of the stuff came from in the first place (British Gypsum, Brightling Mine, East Sussex) - maybe I can give mine back to them?...

Reply to
Tim S

I believe they do take it back for recycling, although I've no idea if they do so at that site.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I guess it remains to be see how the skip companies deal with it. There has to be a business opportunity to make the pain all just go away (for a price obviously).

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Or lots more free tips from the driver: "make sure the PB goes in the middle of the crap, along with the telly, CFLs, asbestos and the mattress[1] you chopped up with an angle grinder"(!)

[1] When I hired my first skip in recent times and saw the mattress surcharge, I joked to the driver (in an irritated way): "Why does it cost extra, surely it ends up in the same hole?".

"No mate - we have a 50yard RORO in the yard for mattresses".

"What do you do with them then?"

"Don't know - it's only half full and we haven't worked out what we're supposed to do when it is full"

Probably assign a second 50 yarder to sit next to it until the mattresses in the first turn to soil...

*sigh*

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Simon,

It's not the plasterboard that's considered "harzardous waste", it's the Artex that it's invariably covered with that's considered to be the problem.

I found out a few months ago that the early Artex coatings (produced up until the late eighties early nineties IIRC) containes small quantities of asbestos fibres that act as a 'binder' to form the textured finish.

I found this out when the local council changed a damaged artex ceiling in my locality, and they used the full asbestos protection gear *and* - built a temporary plastic porch around the back door to ensure that the fibres did not escape from the property during removal of the old stuff. After removal, all the plasterboard and dust was put into sealed bags (including the vacuum cleaner they used) ready for transportation.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

1984 was the cutoff IIRC...

(this is a separate issue from the gypsum one being discussed in this thread though)

Reply to
John Rumm

I cannot lay claim to the cliche- I've used the comment on several occasions and seemed appropriate at this time; hence its use! I've met others that use the comment so that I'm sure it is common parlance in some quarters.

I've not quite got to my walking stick stage yet but I'm just encouraging my wrinkly patter to aspire to promote himself from walking stick status to the zimmer frame, (it might also stop him clipping me behind the earhole!). Also, to expand his horizons by using a battery charged chariot to go down the footpath harvesting folk whilst going to get his newspaper! The area that he has alway lived in now must have an average age well over 65.

Using the chariot that I'm encouraging him to use could well reduce this average!

Keeps the pensions and NHS bills down, doncha know?

Reply to
Clot

I thought it was "I'll get me coat" from the Fast Show?

The Medway Handyman