plasterboard fixing

Are there different ways of fixing plasterboard to brick walls?

Reply to
Dennis Farmer

Either use battons to space them off the wall and nail the boards to the battons, or use bonding plaster to stick them direct to the wall. I guess the best way will vary case by case.

Reply to
Rickard Dwiggery

Yes. Most common now is a plasterboard adhesive which looks like plaster or cement, but is loaded with glue and nylon fibres too. You put large dabs every 12" or so and then lift it into place and tap it down like a giant tile, allowing the adhesive to spread out a bit and using a spirit level to get it vertical.

Another way is to use battens. This would enable you to include thermal insulation behind the plasterboard. Personally I would avoid this if there's any chance of the wall being damp -- ideal breading place for dry rot.

You can also get metal frames to use instead of battens, but I've never actually seen them used.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel