Plaster tile adhesive

I was talking with a tiler today, he says he's used plaster as a tile adhesive before. He used thistle, plastered the wall, and reckoned he then had about 2 hours to place the tiles straight onto the plaster, and it worked fine. Looks like we have a good candidate for an unproven but probably viable low cost tile adhesive.

NT

Reply to
NT

Was he wearing chaps and spurs?

Reply to
Bolted

he reckons it worked fine.

NT

Reply to
NT

NT coughed up some electrons that declared:

I wonder if it's that much different to the old way of mounting tiles direct on some sort of render mix - well, something that looked like sand and cement...

OK - gypsum is not so water stable. But neither's plasterboard and people stick tiles on that.

Can't help feeling it would be easier to use tile adhesive - just in having more than the claimed 2 hours working time - wonder what he does if he gets behind schedule and the plaster is going off.

Reply to
Tim S

I guess if that happened he could resort to using tile adhesive for the rest, or a light smear of fresh plaster

NT

Reply to
NT