Plaster or render?

I've got to decide what to do with the brick wall inside my new conservatory. Most of the wall is actually French doors, there is only about an average of 30cm all the wall around the opening. Currently, most of the wall is painted white with masonry paint, but some is bare brick. Obviously this all used to be external, but is now internal and has had plenty of time to dry out.

We were going to just paint it with masonry paint. However, we've now decided we want something a little less rustic. We've chosen the colour we want to paint it, but want it flat rather than brick patterned.

Should we use sand/cement render, bonding/skim or one coat plaster? Will any/all of these will stick to the previous gloss? Do we need to PVA it?

It doesn't need to be flat to bedroom standards, a little roughness won't worry us. In fact, a sandy like surface would be ideal, which is why I'm leaning towards render, if it will be suitable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Onecoat would be my choice here. It's a lot quicker and easier than render (because it's less slumpy), and will provide you with the slightly sandy look by simply brush-finishing it.

As for sticking to the gloss, I'd want to PVA throuroughly. The brick lines will provide a good key, but it's important to get a good surface bond too.

Reply to
Grunff