Plasplugs tile cutters - any views?

Has anyone any experience of the Pro Tiler Plus model and can comment on quality, longevity etc. Reason being I bought one for =A340 from B&Q and although it performed okay(just), cutting a quantity of

300x300x12mm porcelain floor tiles, I felt that it was a bit basic in the quality control area.

1=2E screws securing the shiny(metal ?) work surfaces weren't countersunk below the surface level causing tiles to catch during cutting;

2=2E work surface was reasonably flat at front edge but immediately in front of the blade the plastic casing formed a distinct hump causing the tile to rock about unsupported on both sides (likely to cause breaks on thin tiles);

3=2E the blade was running out of true after about 6 tile cuts although this definitely looks like a spindle problem. There is a distinct area of rubbing on both sides of the blade;

4=2E the complete unit was only managing 2 points of contact on a flat surface and had to be shimmed with pieces of rubber under the feet.

I was particularly careful using it as I intend to carry out kitchen and bathroom tiling projects after this one. Water level was constantly checked and changed regularly and I took between 2 & 3 mins to do each straight cut using the guide fence. 25 cuts in total.

Am I too picky or did I lift the 'Friday a/noon' one ? I would be interested in any feedback before returning to Buy & Queue, because I have heard plenty of praise for this particular brand. I do realise it is aimed at the diy market and that =A340 doesn't purchase very much these days.

Thanks for all the advice in my previous post regarding the best way to cut this type of tile.

Reply to
keng

I've got one of these (an older model I think) and it doesn't have any of the problems you mention. I'd take it back if I were you. B&Q are usually pretty reasonable in this regard.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I concur. My model had none of these issues.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I have one which I bought about 18 months ago. Overall I think it's been very good. Specific points addressed below.

All the screws on mine are countersunk.

No ridges on mine.

Definitely not the case on the one I have. I've done a bathroom, a shower room, a downstairs toilet, and a kitchen (including porcelain floor) with it, and the blade has remained true.

That sounds bad. I haven't looked closely, but I didn't notice mine rocking at any point.

I think you have a duff. What I don't know is whether it's just one unit, or a whole batch. I would definitely take it back. Examine the potential replacement machine carefully, and only take it home if you are satisfied that it doesn't have the same faults. I wonder if they have two different factories?

Reply to
Grunff

I got the basic version (i.e. plastic bodied, about 32 quid from machine mart), and found none of the problems you describe. One caveat: I was only cutting ceramic tiles with it though. Sounds like someone had a game of football using your one before you got it!

Reply to
John Rumm

It's a piece of crap.

For some odd reason, the older and (rather cheap looking) Plasplugs tile cutters have gained a good reputation for reliability, whilst the visually more robust shiny metal-tabled versions from the sheds have soon been found wanting for accuracy and longevity. Unfortunately this new Plasplugs one seems to have gone with the "shiny-but-rubbish" school, rather than the "very reliable for an Airfix kit" past.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, I missed the reference to the metal shiny bit. Mine is the "Airfix" type.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've had one for about three years, and this was an upgrade from the basic model which a friend borrowed then wanted to keep. (And paid me the original price for ;-))

It has none of the issues you mention. If the blade has run out, take it back. The screw hole and ridge things should like they could easily be fixed, but of course shouldn't need to.

It should sit square on a level surface. Sounds like it's been subjected to some enormous outside influence - perhaps a container fire? Could be that would account for the other faults too.

The only thing on mine I dislike are the quick release fence clamps. They need to be kept clean to work. But IIRC later models were improved.

I always use mine clamped to my Workmate. It sits over the jaws, and you open them to grip the feet. A solid fixing makes it so much easier to use. And if possible, use the whole lot outdoors. Good light makes accurate cutting so much easier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm confused. Mine is plastic bodied, made of a one piece black plastic moulding. The table is surfaced with ribbed stainless sheet. Is that the one we're talking about?

Reply to
Grunff

Think mine as ribbed ally of some sort. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok, could be aluminium - I thought it was ss on account of it not scratching too much.

Reply to
Grunff

There seems to be a number of them:

?p=060811110
?p=060811181I have the first one, yours sounds like the third, and the OPs might be the second!

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, mine is the first, too. Only the second is described as a "Pro Tiler Plus", though, which is what the OP called it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I have the one from Screwfix, is that any good as I have a slate floor to cut, its not thick slate but all the same will these cutters handle it or am I being too optimistic

Reply to
John Borman

Mine is the second. It doesn't show on that photo, but the table plates have fine ribbing on them.

Reply to
Grunff

Slate is very easy to cut - much softer than porcelain. I used mine to cut slates for the kitchen splashback, and had no problems.

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
John Borman

Mine is the DWW150, so the third. And appears to cost rather more than I paid for it. Still, that's machine mart for you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmmmm! :-)

(Yes, I know what you mean, it just struck me as funny when I first read it)

Reply to
usenet

Ah. Sorry to use a technical term. ;-)

Reply to