Plasplugs tile cutters

Hello,

I'm interested in getting a plasplugs tile cutter after reading people's reviews here. Is the plasplugs the only one to recycle water?

What is the difference between the Pro version and the Compact version? The only thing I could see on the box was that the Pro version has three extra features:

  1. 22.5 degree mitres
  2. drain plug
  3. bigger disc (11cm rather than 8cm)

Why would you want 22.5 degree mitres? If you are tiling into a corner you would need two 45 deg mitres to make a right angle. When would you want two 22.5 deg mitres to make 45 degrees?

Does the compact not have a drain? Do you just turn it upside down when finished?

I presume the bigger disc lasts a little longer?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

IIRC, it also has a larger motor which can be run for longer periods before requiring switching off to cool down. My original basic one took its thermal fuse. Which is a bit tricky to replace - it's not like a normal user replaceable fuse.

And the larger cutting wheel allows you to cut thicker tiles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure what you mean by that. The water sits in a tank, the disc dips into the water for lubrication, cooling and a muddy shower for the operator. Do other tile saws need a runing water supply?

Yes, but you need to give it a good wash to get rid of the sludge so I don't see a drain being a great advantage.

Might be false. How long a disc lasts depends on how deep the diamond edging to the disc is. The bigger one might be going faster (in linear terms) than the smaller one, thus may wear quicker. All other things being equal, like the material being cut.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It leaves you with 67.5 degs, two of which take you round a 135 deg bay. Never seen a tiled bay though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On some the water from the tank is lost once 'used'. Certain versions of the Plasplugs have a drain channel round the outside of the bed which returns most of the water to the tank.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've used it to make a tiled octagonal "cakestand" for someone who sells wedding tiaras.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well, there you go. A vital setting on any tile saw.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

So to summarise so far:

It's worth getting the Pro version for the better motor but the drain and 22 deg mitre are not worth fussing over?

When I read the box in the shop they both said they would cut up to

20mm thick IIRC so I'm not sure that the bigger blade necessarily means bigger tiles can be cut. It didn't mention anything about the duty cycle of the motor on the box, but I got the impression that they used the same "high torque motor with 4:1 gears".
Reply to
nospam

It could be that they all use the same motor these days - my comments were on the ones I've bought and used. However, it would seem strange to use the same motor/gearbox but different sized blades. The other clue would be the power consumption.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)