Plasma or led screen

And the red 'on' led on the back of the projector ?

Reply to
G&M

What is driving me nuts is Grand Prix from North and South America. Don't know what video encoders they use but they cannot handle a Ferrari going from right to left and slightly down the screen to save their lives. You notice as the race goes on they avoid those particular shots.

Reply to
G&M

You're talking to someone who's lived many years in various foreign countries where films are dubbed and what's spoken and what you actually hear bear no resemblance to each other

Besides on Digi TV, the sound track (as someone else just mentioned) is quite often way out of sync with the picture anyway, It might be something you'll have to get used to

Reply to
raden

It's really not a serious problem

Reply to
raden

Gaffer tape, but there is probably far more spill from the ventilation slots for the bulb(s).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

15000:1. If the projector puts out 700 lumens, then on black, it produces .05 lumens. In other words, about the same amount of light as one of the brighter (not superbright) LEDs, as used for indicators. This is plenty of light to see by. Not well, but it's plenty for a 'not fall over things' light. With a 2.5m (across) display, it's about a tenth as bright as full moonlight.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hey, it's a feature! "Designed for large projectors".

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I think the one mentioned uses a scanning CRT, doesn't it ? At least their pub version always used to.

Wonder if there are rubber seals around the doors ?

Reply to
G&M

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:55:30 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" strung together this:

More gaffer tape then!

Reply to
Lurch

Hmm. 'Ventilation' and 'gaffer tape' in the same context.

Reply to
G&M

Just as a quick footnote to this thread: see

for interesting background reading on the subject of flat TV displays in general.

Reply to
Andy Wade

No problem then.

Buy a Plasma now, and in 6 years time when you want to replace it you'll have the advantge of a 12 months old market to purchase a new one with this new technology...

Reply to
Hamie

Surely an Aga has got to put put more than 400W.... 4kW perhaps... From when we last built a computing lab at one of my old jobs, a PERSON puts out about 400W... (Used for calculating how much aircon you require).

Hamie

Only when excersising hard, or on fire.

400W =100 calories/sec = .1 Calories/sec * 86400 (s/day) = 8640 calories.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Definitely not. The maximum is about 1kW and that is after a major cooking session. In steady state it is no more than 750W with gas or oil models because the burner modulates.

I've measured the input gas rate and calculated the power consumption.

In rest state, a human is about 100W.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Am I missing something here. How do you cook on 1kW ?

Recently installed a 9kW total hob and I had to agree with somebody here (Christian) that a good gas hob would still be faster.

Reply to
G&M

The heat is stored in a substantial quantity of cast iron internally and it requires about 600-750W steady state to maintain that.

The internal components are carefully arranged to provide temperature gradients throughout the appliance. There are two very large plates on the top, each of which will comfortably hold three or four pans. The hotter one is directly over the burner and will boil very rapidly. The flue gases pass through a chamber under the other and provide a cooler plate which will simmer or even maintain milk at just under boiling point continuously, for example. Sauces don't curdle or burn.

There are then four ovens offering temperature gradients from just under 300 degrees down to about 50 degrees, so you have a range that is greater than most modern cooking arrangements and with highly stable temperatures. There is a working area that can also be used to gently warm butter or chocolate or other ingredients without needing to mess about with pans of warm water.

It is unusual that a large amount of heat is needed for an extended period on the top plates because the usual method of preparation is to initially boil something on the top if it requires it and then to transfer the pan to the appropriate oven to complete the cooking or simply to maintain the required temperature. Other operations such as grilling are carried out in the oven to begin with. The results are invariably superb and the food tastes better and is less dried during the cooking stages, unlike fan ovens which wreck food by drying it.

The burner is capable of delivering about 5kW input but we have found in practice that it has never run at over about 1kW. You would have to try extremely hard and use the range totally incorrectly to get it much above that.

In addition to the above, you can air clothes, warm shoes and coats,, dry herbs and tend to sick animals. Pretty good for one appliance.

In fact it isn't. We have compared individual and combined cooking operations working in both ways and there is very little time difference. It is actually much easier to speed up or slow down cooking of individual items very easily by just moving them slightly and the risk of drying or burning things is much reduced in comparison to a fierce gas hob. Added to this, one doesn't need to stand at the hob the whole time in front of 9kW of heat twiddling knobs to try and balance the rates of cooking without burning or overcooking the food.

I wouldn't buy a gas hob or an electric oven again, having thrown both unceremoniously into a skip where they belong a couple of years back.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Whoops. Should have been a question mark after Christian's name. Not sure if it was him but I think it was. Sorry to him if it wasn't.

Reply to
G&M

Aga kicks out 600W according to the specs. They are VERY well insulated

Person kicks out about 100W. From memory. Average. Aircon probably takes into account the computer and lights they are using as well..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

easily. Firstly half of what an aga does is the ovens, which are insulated.

Secondly, the plates do cool when doing major cooking. But there is a LOT of thermal mass in them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher