Plant Screening for North Facing Fence

Hi all

I have been granted planning permission to erect a fence to the north boundary of my property. A stipulation is that the fence must be set 500mm (20") back from the boundary and suitable planting provided to screen the fence and help it blend into the street scene. My intention is to erect a fence with concrete posts and 300mm high concrete gravel board beneath the panels. So I guess the best screening measure would be to include low level plants to obscure the gravel board and something taller to mask the posts.

To minimise the impact of this planting I would like to include the following restrictions if possible:

As low maintenance as possible, given we cannot see this ourselves and would be maintaining it for the benefit of others. Suitable for north facing location in East Yorkshire (quite high so wind tolerance needed). Not too nutrient hungry (or with invasive route systems) as I will have a veg plot the other side of the fence.

The fence is being erected to replace a row of Blue Lawson conifers, so much of the goodness will have been stripped from the surrounding soil long ago. Any recommendations on plant varieties and ground preparation required will be gratefully received.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Sorry fellas - ignore this one - should have been UK-REC-GARDENING

Reply to
TheScullster

Good question though.

My favorite is Viburnum Tinus. Nice tough evergreen.

Yew is good, but likes more sun and is slow grower.

Chuck in a few buddlea for effect.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's a couple of miles of buddlea along the new Orient Way in East London. Seems to stay at fence height but also spreads outwards by the same distance

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Go for Firethorn - it deters all but the most stubborn ASBO merchants

Reply to
cynic