Planning Permisson....?

I ask on behalf of my brother who is thinking of purchasing a bungalow.

Do you need planning permission to build a conservatory...?

Help much appreciated.

-- troubleinstore

troubleinstore

It depends.... on how big it is (its volume), how high it is relative to site boundaries, where it is on your plot, whether the bungalow has been extended already. Most conservatories dont need permission on the assumption that it's 'normal' size & house is unextended now. Go here for further advice:

I suggest you look on your council's own website - chances are it has some sort of enquiry form to cover this eventuality - fill this in and get an answer in writing from them.

HTH

Reply to
David Byers

There is also a potential Building Regulations factor in conservatory building, but again for typical conservatories it is possible to be exempt from the need to do a plans application or building notice with the local authority.

The main factors are size and the type of construction (floor area and at least 75% glass), maintaining an exterior grade door and if relevant windows to it, use of glass complying with part N of the Building Regulations (toughened below a certain height) and separate control to the house of any heating in there.

The notion on energy is that the conservatory is outside the envelope of the main house and so keeping the existing doors to it mean that the heat loss from the house is not made worse.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Also, if it is listed, conservation area or permitted development rights withheld, then permission may be needed. It is quite common for permitted development rights to be removed when developers build an estate. Sometimes this is part of the original planning permission, but there should normally be a mention of it in the deeds.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

For our conservatory we had to submit plans to local council who just wrote back saying, based on your plans and design no planning permission is required.

Builders would not start without the confirmation as they have been caught out before starting a job and then finding permission was required.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

The quickest way to find out is to go and ask the local council planning department. They should be able to give answer. W£whatever the outcome he will almost certainly need building regulations approval.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Why?

There's a well defined and documented set of exemption criteria which are relatively easily met with most conservatories added to a house.

In fact, there are fewer potential issues than with planning.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

By "almost certainly" I think you meant "be unlikely to". There is an exemption that the majority of conservatories come under, although there are exeptions.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't forget to ask about building reg's

Reply to
Maurice Hood

Thank you for correcting me!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

However he will need it if he does not have it installed under the FENSA scheme will he not?

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Nope.

That's for window and door replacements in existing buildings.

A conservatory is considered to be outside the thermal envelope of the existing building and as long as the existing doors and any windows from house to conservatory are retained, the energy situation has not been made worse.

This remains one area where regulatory involvement is not required, and hopefully will remain so. There are far too many of those as it is.